cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high latency and packet loss

LukmanChowdhury
Dialled in

Hi, 

I am seeing high latency and packet loss, both wired and wireless connections. Frequently wireless devices drop their connection and then fail to reconnect (something about an IP config error). 

I was a part of the virgin pod trials but i have turned the power off on my pod (as it was causing ssid issues and router updates / hangs)

the log on my router presently has frequent errors like the ones below:

13/06/2021 22:29:37 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

13/06/2021 21:03:39 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

a ping test from the router settings screen to google.com returned:

PING google.com (142.250.187.206): 64 data bytes
72 bytes from 142.250.187.206: seq=0 ttl=117 time=20.000 ms
72 bytes from 142.250.187.206: seq=1 ttl=117 time=10.000 ms
72 bytes from 142.250.187.206: seq=2 ttl=117 time=6010.000 ms
72 bytes from 142.250.187.206: seq=3 ttl=117 time=13560.000 ms
--- google.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 60% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 10.000/4900.000/13560.000 ms

Virgin's automatic checks don't find ay issues and though my area seems to frequently have issues (status page says there's issues in my area about an hour after issues occur) there are presently no errors in my postcode area. 

The ping results are from the router - i've been having issues with both wired and wireless connections (dropped / slow connections) so am leaning towards this being a virgin side / router side issue as opposed to an issue with my devices - speed tests frequently hang around the 1mbps mark though most of the time they hover at 100mbps (which is what I pay for) and often wifi hovers at 50mbps, not ideal but i understand wifi isn't always the best of connections. 

I do have a network switch in the mix for some of my connections. 

I called Virgin's technical support up and they suggested that as the router only has 4 ethernet ports any usage involving a switch is expected to have packet losses 

now i don't know much about network setups but has any got any suggestions? I do have a high number of devices (not all connected simultaneously but i do have smart devices so there's around 20 devices that would be pinging the router - and i do have two of the ethernet ports constantly active (one to a network switch and another to a powerline adapter)

would putting the router into modem mode and using a third party router make any difference in theory? if so, does anyone have suggestions for a router (ideally one that takes a SIM card as a backup) or would the hub's limitation still be an underlying issue?

Thank you 

lukman 

23 REPLIES 23

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@LukmanChowdhury wrote:

Thanks. reassuring to know that the BQM looks similar to yours....

Below is my latest one.  No issues - my lad is an "avid" gamer !

Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 12.59.06.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Mine go through phases of spikiness - at the moment it is really flat but occasionally:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/thumb/5c2d1f9ca3504ca1543d371d3780e7d424bee434-06-05-2021.png

5c2d1f9ca3504ca1543d371d3780e7d424bee434-06-05-2021 

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thank you @jbrennand - that really does look a lot like mine

thanks @lotharmat, the spikes on mine tend to appear to be the norm in evenings when i'm home but looks like it's no different to Johns - so normal

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its looking like the connection is fine and that your issues would be best addressed by putting the Hub into modem only mode and getting your own better quality Router and wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

agreed. I'm seeing issues again just now with one device - connects to a backup wifi i have (mobile broadband) but not to virgin's hub. 

any recommendations on a router? (ideally looking for something with 4 ethernet ports, able to handle 30 connections (ethernet + wifi) and ideally accepts a SIM card for fallback). no budget restrictions if it's highly recommended though cheap and reliable is never something i'd turn down. 

thanks in advance for any recommendations or suggestions (and any recommendations made won't be met with "i bought it because you said so and now it sucks - it's your fault" - i understand that problems can happen at any point with any equipment, anywhere along the line).  

i should mention, everything checks out on the hub side (seeing post rs errors in the 200-300 range but BMQ looks healthy - can't power cycle hub just yet as in middle of work but will be doing so after work. but agree that i'm also satisfied it's not a virgin to hub issue.  

@LukmanChowdhury wrote:

agreed. I'm seeing issues again just now with one device - connects to a backup wifi i have (mobile broadband) but not to virgin's hub. 

any recommendations on a router? (ideally looking for something with 4 ethernet ports, able to handle 30 connections (ethernet + wifi) and ideally accepts a SIM card for fallback). no budget restrictions if it's highly recommended though cheap and reliable is never something i'd turn down. 

thanks in advance for any recommendations or suggestions (and any recommendations made won't be met with "i bought it because you said so and now it sucks - it's your fault" - i understand that problems can happen at any point with any equipment, anywhere along the line).  

I've been incredibly happy with the TP-Link Archer c7 - Good range and speed and very configurable - has 4 GB ethernet ports too!

Thank you. I'll take a look at that

just realised channel optimisation was turned on on my settings - i'd previously turned this off as it was messing about with my connections but recently had to do a couple of pinhole resets and forgotten about setting channel optimisaiton back off. Will keep an eye on that and see if it's making any difference. 

No worries!

I always split wifi into the 2.5 and 5GHz bands - swtich off intelligent wifi and optimisation!

You can download a WiFi Analyser app and see which channel (1,6,11 for 2.4GHz) is the least congested and manually select that one!