cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help please, 1GB broadband very slow

thealarman
Joining in

i had 1gb fibre installed a few weeks ago. utter rubbish, its no faster than it was before,  its actually slower.

the first hub5 they sent me out had a fault on it, virgin was unable to see the speeds i was getting at the router, so they sent me out a second one.

i fitted the second hub,  on a wifi connection i'm able to see a 600mb on the speed test sites, sam knows says it well over 1GB at the router and 600mb at my laptop.

but when i do the same test on my PC (hard wired with cat6) i only get 300mb. now i have a 1gb network connection in my PC and i have recently fitted a 2.5GB card in the computer, this did not improve the download speed.

i had the VM engineer out today and he replaced the F connector on the end of my coax and the 2 splitters on the property, He also moved me to a better connection point in the cab box up the road.

none of this has made any difference to my internet speed. 

when i was paying for 100mb i got 100mb

when i had 350mb i got 350mb

when i had 500mb i only got 300mb

and now i have 1GB i still only get 300mb.  its as if the router is bottle necking the bandwidth on the hard wired network ports.

I have never heard of a system where the WIFI is faster than the Ethernet before.

can anyone help before i pull all my hair out?

15 REPLIES 15

Client62
Hero

The PC may not drawing data any faster than you are seeing reported by speed tests.

Boot the PC into Safe Mode + Networking and re-try the speed tests.

If there is a marked improvement take a look at the software and security packages on the PC for products that sap the network speed.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@thealarman wrote:

I have never heard of a system where the WIFI is faster than the Ethernet before.

Does seem odd and on the same laptop....try hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Client62, yes you was right, and thanks, it has jumped from 300mb to 900mb on a ethernet connection when in safe mode.

so can you give me any idea what might be causing the issue? I'm running windows 10, i really want to avoid doing a fresh install if i can help it, 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Antiviral software is often the culprit for reducing speeds. If you are using it - switch it all off and test whilst its disabled

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Its not a Dell product youre using is it?

Hi thealarman, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums.  

I am sorry to hear that the broadband speeds were running low. 

I can see that this has now been resolved with the help of the community. 

Can you confirm how the test went when the antivirus was switched off?

Kind regards, Chris. 

yes its a Dell Optiplex 7010, I7, 1GB SSD 2.5gb network card 32GB of RAM. would that cause a issue?

Chris, sorry i have been very busy for a while, but i will dissable the antivirus and give it another go. I'm using Avast antivirus, full version

@thealarman wrote:

Chris, sorry i have been very busy for a while, but i will dissable the antivirus and give it another go. I'm using Avast antivirus, full version

What does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

EDIT: Just noted you mentioned Samknows.