Menu
didger2007
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

half speed/poor wifi area30

Am in are 30(Grimsby), and constantly get speeds of 50percent or less of the 150mb I should be obtaining.I also find my wifi signal is lost approx. every 48hours at varying times and I have to reset my superhub two.Looking through the forums, I see their is an issue in area30, although unsure this covers the whole of the area, and probably not connected to my wifi drop out,which doesn't improve even when I switch channels.Anybody want to throw any advice my way?

Regards in Advance

A previously happy customer whos on the verge of switching allegiance

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: half speed/poor wifi area30

Have you tested the speed  wired directly to the hub with a Cat 5e cable or better with a device equiped with a gigabit ethernet network card?

This is the only way to test the true speed of your internet connection as wireless is affected by many factors like client hardware, range, interference and the topography of your home.

VM areas are billing codes which relate to previous franchises and geographical areas, so they can be huge and not geopraphically continuous, so it is very unlikely to be affecting the whole area. Area 30 covers the North Midlands and Teeside.

0 Kudos
didger2007
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, the 70mb ish speed is when I connect wired with cat5 cable, wirelessly my devices hit about 40mb, the signal going is more of a problem for me, as once connected everything works like a charm, and I don't connect wired anyway, apart from changing settings when my hub plays up......like ten minutes ago

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey didger2007,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Apologies for the slow speeds, this can be frustrating.

I'd like to investigate your reduced speeds, are you able to pop your hub into Modem Mode and let us know if this alters your results at all.

Thanks for your patience,

Talk soon.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
didger2007
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather

I have just done some speed tests before and after going into Modem Mode, and there was no difference, results coming in between 90/100 mb.

Regards my loss of wifi signal, recently I don't seem to be having the problem, however, it seemed to coincide with the installation of british gas smart meters, and I was wondering have any other customers had wifi problems after having these installed?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does the link speed on your computer show that you have a gigabit connection... 90/100 speeds are usually an indicator of a 100Mb card or else a gigabit card thats only been able to negotiate a 100Mb connection.

0 Kudos
didger2007
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The speed test hasn't always produced these slightly lower speeds, on the same device in the past I've hit 150mb

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi didger2007, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see that you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. 

It may help to see a BQM So we can get a better idea of what you are seeing from your side. (Please be aware link is external and we're not responsible for its contents). 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
didger2007
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well the speed doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, but I continue to lose my WIFI every couple of days.

I am really frustrated with this problem.Would it be possible to be sent the newest superhub in the hope that this may rectify the problem?

regards in advance

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us didger2007,

I've had a look at everything from this end and there does appear to be an issue developed with the downstream power levels.

I'd like to arrange for one of our engineers to visit.

I've sent you a private message so that we can get this booked in.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know