Menu
david32
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

getting 200meg on iphone, 93 on p.c

Hi, i am getting 200meg + on my iphone wifi, but only getting 93meg on my P.C.. have changed my NIC card to a 1Gig one wired direct to the Hub3, any answers?

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: getting 200meg on iphone, 93 on p.c

93 sounds like a 10/100 ethernet port...

Iphone will use 5ghz so will go faster.

prob settings issue within laptop as not operating on 1gbps

Just get a 802.11ac usb adapter, sod wired.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Check the network cable is a good conditioned cat5e cable or better as well. If you have spares you can change and check too.

Also check your driver settings are set to full duplex.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi david32, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see that you have been having trouble with the connection on your PC. 

As you are reaching full speeds on the iPhone it would suggest the issue is with the PC itself. 

Pop the hub into Modem only mode with the computer in safe mode with networking and let us know if it makes a difference. 

I can see that Shafreya has also made some great points so it would be worth giving them a try too. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
david32
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank's for the great advise guys.The problem was the cable from the hub to my P.C. I changed the Network Interface Card to one that supported speeds of over 100Meg but when i did a speed test it was only 93Meg. So it had to be something between the hub and the P.C. I.E cable. Did a bit of research on the web and then took myself down to Maplins and bought myself a 8mtr Cat6 cable (along with four 2mtr cat6 cables for the Tivo box etc.) Connected the Cat6 cable from the Hub to my P.C and did a speed test on Speedtest.net. Got download of 220Meg and upload of 12Meg.Happy Chappy now.

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well I was on the ball too, you can get 200mbps easy on a cat 5 no even cat 5e unless its long, prob a el cheapo cable from 1999!

0 Kudos