Menu
bodybagz
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

dsl reports shows over half second latency

so while using the standard vm 2ac hub i get massive issues with latency in upload,now i use my hub in modem mode but without QoS its still massively bad as i stated its over half second latency also its not stable and jumps around also from 30ms to over 555ms sometimes over that.

now ive been with VM for over 7 years and now contemplating leaving as its now starting to affect gaming something i do regularly and what i got VM for in the first place.

now ive never been happy with the service since ive had it but tbh there wasn't much better out there however i feel there is now and imho bt at 30mb/s stable would be much better then 220mb/s unstable. add to the im paying over 50 quid pm compered to BTs 30 quid pm.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: dsl reports shows over half second latency

Maybe you should post some actual metrics?

Give us a traceroute to a server you are connecting to and we can advise further...

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
bodybagz
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

this is with hub in modem mode and my nighthawk r8000p with QOS on

this is same setup with out QoS

the problem is what i can not show you is buffer bloat as DSLreports dont seem to allow you to copy and paste that information.

first look at the buffer bloat in both, top is A bottom is C now C is over 100ms of latency and that is ONLY on upload the download looks fine and even show the same in both.

first upload buffer bloat was max 90ms second was 199ms,now that jumps all over from 10ms to 100ms back to 20ms up and down constantly.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A speed test result means very little if we are measuring latency.

But as you can see by the results you've posted your latency sits at 13-34ms

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Darkman
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@bodybagz wrote:

first upload buffer bloat was max 90ms second was 199ms,now that jumps all over from 10ms to 100ms back to 20ms up and down constantly.

The DSLReports Speed Test is measuring Buffer Bloat when your connection is fully utilised, i.e. deliberately exposing the weakness of most (modem/)routers. Unless you have a better quality router with QoS, or even better SQM (Smart Queue Management), generic/ISP routers will not do well at this test as they are not prioritising any packets of data, but just trying to send them as soon as they receive them.

Unless you are regularly maxing out your upstream bandwidth this shouldn't be a major concern, although as you're using QoS on your Nighthawk to prioritise upstream data at the moment I would have thought you'd got this covered anyway.

SH 2ac, 200Mb BB; V6 TiVo, Full House TV; M Phone just to call VM
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I must be missing something here...you have a router with QoS and that show mostly fine on (might need to lower the limits) but you seem to think you don't need it on?

Their is a big problem with upstream buffering which is why you need QoS to limit it under your upload speed but this only works if you get that upload speed as if the CMTS is under load your upload speed will be less and you buffer in the modem.

0 Kudos