Menu
star_kid1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

customer service problems

Hi, this is my first post, so hi to all, and sorry for a massive post.

Please, can anybody help with any advise, I am so frustrated with virgin media I have just had about enough?

My problem is so hard to explain as it has been ongoing for about a month with engineers technicians and customer service reps just passing me on from one person to another but I will try to keep it as simple as I can, so please bear with me, and my grammar.

I just tried live chat and contact form but I can't get through, before that, I just tried phoning but the UK team put me through to India tech team who just tried repeating the whole process of rebooting my modem etc, so back to square one.

It all started with an engineer who came to check my speed ( i signed up for 350mbps but my 1GBPS capable PC was showing 56mbps virgin media download speed) he was so rude with an attitude problem and as it turns out was full of lies ( found this out by the next 3 engineers)

anyway, I wrote a 7-page complaint letter to Matrix court about him and have not really heard back about that issue.

virgin media in total have sent out three engineers, all who have said that they have not got the equipment to test my speed but the last one said he will get his boss to come out who has a laptop that will definitely show me my speed that I am getting 350mbps internet ( I don't believe him) and he was supposed to come about 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting.

let me explain about the first engineer,

He was so rude and arrogant, he had his girlfriend on the phone so I think he was rushing, he just used speedtest.net to test my signal in the room on all for corners for about 15 minutes, he blamed my ethernet cable, my chimney saying they have metal pins in there which he just thought of by looking at it lol, and then blamed my PC, he refused to let me move my PC away from the chimney next to the modem, refused to get his own ethernet cable until I made him, told me im only supposed to get 10% speed of what I pay for, then told me there is no device out there that can read, process, and show 350mbps, then said his vxmeter could read it but my cable might be faulty so he cant check it, I then told him to get his cable out the van, he then took some snapshots on his phone, told me there is a problem, then said his vxmeter is updating, 2 seconds later said its checked all three servers and said I am getting 350mbps internet, when I asked him to show me on the vx meter he said iv took pics of it whats the difference and started to argue with me saying whats difference, and things like this doesnt matter to me this matters to you etc.

the second engineers ( two of them came, they said they were subcontractors) came and also said they would not be moving my hub ( i was promised it would be moved back in December before signing up to 350 vivid pack) they said they were just sent to replace my hub which they did, at this point I rang virgin media and was passed onto technical help in India, they were telling me that my Samsung S9 is not powerful enough to show more than 200mbps and the subcontractor said thats B.S##t as he has a Samsung s6 and its showing 210mbps (which I saw)

the man on the phone rebooted the signal/modem etc, then asked me to check my PC settings and realised it was a 1GB adapter and said he will send another proper technician out.

a third technician came, he said he wont be moving the hub especially as he didn't have a drill, by this time I had virgin media on the phone and got my Makita drill out and made a hole for him, by that time he started to get his tools out and started to move the hub (hooray) anyway he tried all sorts of settings and even asked his boss on the phone who talked him through some secret settings, ( the engineer asked him why these are not on as default) any way he said he couldn't show me the speed but said his boss will be out in a couple of hours to show me 350mbps internet on his latest laptop, he never showed, no email, text or call, nothing.

a week later I got a letter from matrix court signed off by Alan Stott saying they will look into it and reply within seven days, 19 days later I still haven't heard from them,

after waiting around patiently I rang today to chase up the complaint regarding the first rude engineer and to chase up the fourth engineer visit but the lady in the UK said she was from the disconnections team said she would put me through to technical team as it is there engineer who should have showed up, I asked to speak to somebody high up, she said of course, but when they answered they asked me for my details and to explain the whole situation and the wanted me to run speedtest.net and reboot my modem etc all over again, i did connect my pc to the ethernet I told her exactly what would happen, that my Samsung s9 will show more speed over wifi etc but she insisted I do it, so I did and low and behold it only showed 56mbps through a new cat 6 ethernet cable. she wanted me to reboot the modem but I asked her to just send the fourth engineer that had been authorised and did not show up, she said her boss will call me back in ten minutes but also he did not call, it has been 5 hours so far,

please help, it feels like i am going around in circles with virgin media, customer satisfaction at the moment is on a low.

Ps although this sounds far fetched it is not.

please help with advice

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: customer service problems

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, you need to do this first.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card with up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then boot up your device into "safe mode" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download (e.g. Opera?).
Is that how you did yours ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
star_kid1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jbrennand, thanks for your advice, no I have not tried it that way yet but I will definitely try it.

I don't know if the third technician tried it but it does sound similar to what he was doing with the hub,

I don't know why they don't try all of what you mention when they come over to test the speed in the first place since they knew they were coming to check and re-assure me I am getting what I am paying for,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. i will try all this,

can you please help, firstly,

How do i check for sure if i have a gigabit network card.

when i go into the properties i get the following information -

my local area conection has a device name    Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

on the "TYPE" tab it says                                 LAN or High-speed Internet

and on the "network Category" tab it says       Public network

does this mean i have a gigabit network card ?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am no expert on PC cards - I am a Mac only man - but a quick google says this is a gigabit network card. So just need to make sure you have the up to date driver for your Windoze OS. Here is an example - no idea if its what you need - you may already be ok - a Windose person might comment
https://softfamous.com/realtek-rtl8168-8111-pci-e-gigabit-ethernet-nic-driver/

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
star_kid1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the link and advice.

I will look into this,

I am going to try and get in touch with virgin media again regarding the 4th engineer I was promised and the call back I never got back last night.

It feels like they are just trying to forget about me and hope I forget about this.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@star_kid1 wrote:

Many thanks for the link and advice.  I am going to try and get in touch with virgin media again regarding the 4th engineer I was promised and the call back I never got back last night.

Offshore rarely call back.  Best option is try calling “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 (or 0800 9528046)  - options 1-1-4-5 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open Monday – Friday, 8am - 8pm and on Saturday from 8am - 6pm. – [08.01 is best!]) you have a better chance of getting a UK call centre (it could still be a 30’+ wait though) who will be more understanding and helpful.  Tell them you are thinking of leaving for Sky/BT because of these problems - and they will try and sort it for you (as it’s their job to keep customers).

--------------------
0 Kudos
star_kid1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, iv been a little busy with my mum's knee operation, but hopefully, when she gets back tomorrow I will have more time to mess around with virgin media
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) John_GS
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi star_kid1,

Sorry to hear of these issues. Not the usual level of service we aim to offer.

I'll pop you a PM so I can get some further information.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
star_kid1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thanks for your message,

I've sent you a private message.
0 Kudos