Menu
samjwb
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

another slow speed

I'm on vivid 200 but getting 40-60Mbps when connected via ethernet cable directly into router. Service status is fine and diagnostics on router report no errors. Can anyone help?

Screenshot_20190123_164743.pngScreenshot_20190123_164730.pngScreenshot_20190123_164707.pngScreenshot_20190123_164646.pngScreenshot_20190123_164534.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: another slow speed

The power levels on a couple of those upstream channels are a bit high, but not sure that would impact speed.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)?

Have you tried different devices and different Ethernet cables?  Faulty cables can result in slower speeds and not all Ethernet cards are capable of 200Mbs.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
samjwb
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for you reply.

We're getting slow speed all day, can get as low as 1Mbps during peak hours. Will try a different cable but have only got one laptop to test on, but on wireless devices it is slower (but I guess due to the being over wifi)

Many thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Boot the laptop into safe mode with the Hub in modem mode and test at speedtest.net on a freshly installed new browser (e.g.,Opera?).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@samjwb wrote:

Thanks for you reply.

We're getting slow speed all day, can get as low as 1Mbps during peak hours. Will try a different cable but have only got one laptop to test on, but on wireless devices it is slower (but I guess due to the being over wifi)

Many thanks

Sounds like there might be in issue in your area if peak speeds are that low.  Over utilisation issues in an area do not show on the service status page.  You would need to wait for VM staff to get this thread and they can confirm if there are issues in your area.  If not then they can check for any other issues with your connection.  They can take a few days to get to a thread. 

Is the Ethernet card in the laptop a Gigabit (1000Mbps) card?  A lot of laptops are fitted with Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) cards which in the real world have speeds of around 90Mbps or sometimes less, so would never be able to max out a 200Mbps VM connection.  Not sure if manufacturers do this to save money when building laptops or to make the battery last longer, but it seems to be very common.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos