cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet again very slow broadband speed

mikeh99
On our wavelength

I thought I had finally got a broadband line which was stable and of an acceptable speed after over 14 or more months of consistently raising calls with VM.

Today checked my speed and what do I find again my broadband speed less than 20% of what I pay for both before and after rebooting by router.

WHY CANNOT VM JUST DELIVER ON A CONSISTENT BASIS THE SERVICE THAT IS PAID FOR!!!!

Very unimpressed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Little you can do then until any known issues are fixed. Apart from the obvious and what I assume you have already done.....

.....do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also check all connectors etc. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends or loose wires on the connectors . Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling (no clips piercing, or broken sheathing) and the wall box for damage.

Change any internal ethernet cables where convenient to do so - use Cat6a for better sheathing specs and increased protection from crosstalk and interference from a 5e cable.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you test speeds exactly like this - so we can see what speed is being delivered into your Hub from VM.

If you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers as Chrome sometimes gives odd results.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again as above.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, anti-virus, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what speed that gets.

For examples of why... see message 7 in the first thread and 9 in in the second and 3 in the third

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/HUB-5-and-IGB-wifi/td-p/5088163

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slow-Ethernet-Speed/m-p/5060946#M484321

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgrade-from-M600-to-Gig1-no-speed-change-with-Hub-4/td-p...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

mikeh99
On our wavelength

1) I am an ex IT Manager
2) Yes I do know how to test Broadband speeds
3) In the past 3 months I have not changed any software
4) One minute it is 600 next minute it is 197 leave it half an hour and it is 279
5) Fun upload speed consistently 52 time after time no problem
6) Yes I use CAT 6

QUESTION: So why is download speed all over the place/ inconsistent.
Now seeing T3 errors which havent seen for over 5 months.

Just spoken to VM support after the two call trick i.e. have to phone them twice to actually speak to a person.

They have tested and when came back have confirmed there is a problem which their system says needs to be escalated to another team.

I am told by VM after further upgrade works recently the broadband speed will be even more reliable, consistent, better monitored blah blah blah!
and yet as proved again today IT ISN'T!

Thank you for your input however been through these so many times with VM it is now so boring

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Little you can do then until any known issues are fixed. Apart from the obvious and what I assume you have already done.....

.....do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also check all connectors etc. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends or loose wires on the connectors . Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling (no clips piercing, or broken sheathing) and the wall box for damage.

Change any internal ethernet cables where convenient to do so - use Cat6a for better sheathing specs and increased protection from crosstalk and interference from a 5e cable.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hello mikeh99

Sorry to hear of the broadband issues experienced, we understand the frustration this can cause and appreciate you raising this via the forums.

As an ex IT manager, we understand you may have already tried all of the usual fixes. Have you received the call from the team following speaking to the team? Or has the speed consistency improved at all since your last post?

From looking at the connection there are some SNR issues showing (Signal to Noise) which may impact the stability of the speeds. This may be what the team your query was passed to were looking into and will call once this is completed if they haven't already.

Rob

mikeh99
On our wavelength

Rob

Thank you for following up

To be frank - no I have not received a call post my call on Friday to VM raising this issue and no one mentioned anything about SNR issues.  And if this is true it would appear the recent upgrade which took out the service for half a day don't seemed to improved the service even though this was what was promised.

I have again checked this morning  taken screenshots confirming via Ookla 561.83 download and 52.68 upload which is a little better than Friday but against a 1gb line easy percentage to work out only 56.2% and also via SamKnows this morning at 10.13 download 312 upload 50.7 (31.2%)

Why is there such a variance during the day on the download speed.  If I didnt know any better would say my speed is being throttle to balance the load on the cabinet.  If so why?  And why if I am paying for a 1GB service why if this is the case am I being singled out / penalised?  Wonder if Ofcom would have some thoughts on this especially if the throttling meant my average speed over the designated timeframes was outside of now 50% tolerance?

Since rebooting router on Friday can see nominal Pre RS Errors (max 12) and no Post RS Errors prior to this it was normally the other way round no pre but some post.  Upload speed by the way consistently stable at 52.

Also on checking my log please see following sample and my log is basically full of these since 04-09-2022 03:26:55
and on checking previous screenshots of log these have been happening since at least March this year.  So much for the improvements on 21/07/22

05-09-2022 14:36:11noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 14:33:24noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 14:29:15noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 14:26:39noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 14:24:25noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 14:22:05noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 2 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 14:18:41noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 14:17:00noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 10:37:00noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 10:35:00noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 2 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 10:33:32noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 10:29:05noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 10:26:34noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
05-09-2022 10:23:21noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 41; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Two other points
1) When are wifi extenders going to be working with Hub5s?  

2) When is VM going to create an offer for Hybrid workers which I have on several occasions advocated to VM.
Hybrid merged offer of Personal TV and Calls package and Business Broadband package ?  

Any support / thoughts / guidance you can give would be appreciated.

The "battle" continues

Hi mikeh99, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the service. 

I have checked the system and can confirm that there is an outage.

The fault is - F010091629 and this is to be resolved on the 13th September.

Chris