cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XGS-PON Packages

MrJG08
On our wavelength

Virgin have nearly finished rolling out their XGS-PON FTTP product in my area, I was speaking to one of their guys that confirmed what they were rolling out and he said it is capable of 10Gbps symmetric.

I know you won't be able to get 10Gbps from the get go, but will they be offering 1Gbps symmetric packages or still the same bollocks and cap the upload to 50-100Mbps?

Also any one know the prices of their new service?

Thanks.

115 REPLIES 115

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I doubt you will get any info from the VM staff on the board, they are as much in the dark as the rest of us. Out of curiosity what area are you?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Client62
Hero

Current UK prices for a 1Gb / 1Gb Fibre Ethernet connection are from £295 + VAT per month

MrJG08
On our wavelength

The engineer I spoke to said he wasn't aware of what packages would be available to start off with, guess I'll find out when it goes live.

I'm in LS15 Scholes, Leeds. Henegan (virgin subcontractor I assume) have been around here for the past 3 months mounting kit to the BT poles and using their ducting to deploy the fibre, very minimal digging involved.

I'm hoping they don't have **bleep**ty uploads or if they do it will only be for a short period during initial onboarding. Swish fibre are also due to deploy around here soon and they are doing symmetric circuits from the go, also capable of 10Gbps but for now capped at 1Gbps.

MrJG08
On our wavelength

This isn't for any leased lines, this is residential deployment.

The new FTTP deployment using XGS-PON rather than RFoG is capable of up to 10Gpbs symmetrical to the home, obviously not going to be that from the go but I'm hoping 1Gbps up and down to start for their top tier, again doubt it though knowing virgin and their caps...

I wonder what percentage of the 10,800 Gigabytes per day of upstream capacity will go to waste. 

MrJG08
On our wavelength

99.9 I'd imagine, but I live in hope that they have a symmetric package....fingers and toes crossed.

Lets deploy this awesome fibre service, but cripple it and say who needs fast upload anyway....

IPFreely
Fibre optic

Indeed they'll be symmetrical. 

Can't do 10 Gbit/s on there, maxes out at about 8.3 due to overheads but I get his point.

Expect the download to initially follow the HFC network so 1 Gbit/s symmetrical with 2 Gbit/s to follow in a bit, releasing before Openreach/BT release their 1.8 Gbit/s product this year.

MrJG08
On our wavelength

Symmetric packages will be available from the start as soon as the service goes live?

Do you have some inside info on that?

I hope they do as I don't understand the point in rolling out a service and crippling it.

@MrJG08 wrote:

Symmetric packages will be available from the start as soon as the service goes live?

Do you have some inside info on that?

I hope they do as I don't understand the point in rolling out a service and crippling it.

Yes they will, yes I do. No idea about pricing or timing, though, sorry. Those are up to the sales and product folks but the profiles for the tiers on the OLTs are symmetrical so VM will indeed be taking advantage of XGSPON: they agree with you on not crippling!

Will be seeing a similar situation to in the USA where cable companies have the same download speeds across the board but upload speeds vary depending on the technology available.