cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired is fine but Wifi slow

AiredaleBA14
Tuning in

I have the 1gig service with a Router 4.  
cabled from router to MacBook Pro M1 I get speeds of almost 1gig but when using WiFi it varies in the low 20s or on a good day 400Mbps  I only get the higher speeds late at night. When others aren’t on line.

This is not what I expected. 

I have been told by Virgin it’s due to WiFi interference in my home. Where ? What from? How can I reduce it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

The WiFi output from VM hubs is notoriously feeble and you are better off using your own premium router from Asus or Netgear with the hub in modem mode. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

The WiFi output from VM hubs is notoriously feeble and you are better off using your own premium router from Asus or Netgear with the hub in modem mode. 

Thanks I did wonder about that. I put the VM4 into modem only and connected an old Apple AirPort Extreme but that has a delivery capability of about 40mbps only.

tomorrow I will purchase a modern router as you suggested. 

thanks

@AiredaleBA14 wrote:

tomorrow I will purchase a modern router as you suggested. 

You can't use any other modem then the hub in modem mode so you need just a router

---------------------------------------------------------------

yes got that, important point thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Note - if you want maximum speeds on wifi (i.e. >~600Mbps) you will need a WiFi6 router - the VM Hub is only wifi5 as are most lower priced routers on the market - make sure it specifies wifi6.

Also the ethernet connectivity on an ethernet cable will be limited to ~960 on a 1GB ethernet port - so get a router with a 2.5GB ethernet port if you really want to max out.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you John,

at 70 plus I am rather a Luddite on all the pitfalls of the correct equipment so I really appreciate your input. Thank you again.

Alan 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - I am not far behind you 🙂

If you want further advice on any kit you are looking at - post up the details on here and you will get "opinions".

As a starter look at the TP-Link Deco Mesh range - they go from basic intro. to top of the range and are reasonably priced and well regarded by users on here

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for that reply.   When using the cable it is because the virgin4 router will be converted to act as the modem. The WiFi in that case is turned off. So the cable goes to a more powerful router that is the start of a house mesh grid with statute repeaters. 

alan