Menu
Highlighted
SFox2017
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Wired Vs Wireless

So after complaining to the Virgin Media twitter team that I was paying for 200mbs and getting about a quarter of that, I got the expected response going on about how if I'm using WiFi then they aren't to blame because walls and interference etc etc.

I mean in this day and age, where almost every household is completely wireless, how can Virgin seriously expect you to have ethernet cables running throughout the home from whererever the fibre cable is installed to wherever your office/computer room/bedroom is? It's like Virgin is stuck in the early 2000's and refusing to update to today's needs. 

Just to prove the point, here are speed tests done with the first being connected by ethernet cable direct to the Virgin Media Hub, and the second is on wifi in the next room. The only thing in the way is a wall.

Wireless.JPG

So basically in order to actually get the speeds I'm paying for, I'm going to have to invest in a far superior wireless router than Virgin are willing to provide to their customers?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired Vs Wireless

what wireless devices are you using - what is the spec of the wifi card/chip in them - 40 meg may be all the device is capable of - thats nothing to do with VM

if you are using the latest smart phone or tablet then 40 is poor but that again may not be the fault of VM - what channel are you using - what channels are other wifi routers around you using - are you on 2.4 or 5 - wifi is all down to you to set up - you have the speed at the modem - thats what you are paying for - i accept the hubs are not the best wifi devices on the market but with the correct settings with devices that are not limited they can give good wifi speeds

Tony
0 Kudos
legacy1
Legend
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@SFox2017 wrote:

I mean in this day and age, where almost every household is completely wireless, how can Virgin seriously expect you to have ethernet cables running throughout the home from whererever the fibre cable is installed to wherever your office/computer room/bedroom is? It's like Virgin is stuck in the early 2000's and refusing to update to today's needs. 

You could say that but then remember the hub is connected by cable to begin with its not like VM went wireless their.

@SFox2017 wrote:

So basically in order to actually get the speeds I'm paying for, I'm going to have to invest in a far superior wireless router than Virgin are willing to provide to their customers?

Not just the router the device itself has to have superior wireless

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

your post shows you do not understand now wireless works. Wireless has a limited nuber of channels shared by everyone in the area. Just because you have your wn wireless coesn;t mean you have your own channel.

Wireless has a limited speed shared by everyone using it at the time. It is not a limitation of VM its is how the tech works. and some of the people slowing your wireless down might be sky and bt users. the same as you can be slowing down everyone else

0 Kudos
SFox2017
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

"your post shows you do not understand now wireless works. Wireless has a limited nuber of channels shared by everyone in the area. Just because you have your wn wireless coesn;t mean you have your own channel.

Wireless has a limited speed shared by everyone using it at the time. It is not a limitation of VM its is how the tech works. and some of the people slowing your wireless down might be sky and bt users. the same as you can be slowing down everyone else
"

Screenshot_20180516-195251.png

No but thank for your contribution.

0 Kudos
SFox2017
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

"You could say that but then remember the hub is connected by cable to begin with its not like VM went wireless their."

Um...k.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

and you are using 2.4ghz that is even worse then 5ghz. and the wifi scanner can only see wifi not anything else on the 2.4 ghz channels.

Baby monitors, cordless phones, wireless cctv, microwaves, video senders, bluetooth and many more

0 Kudos
SFox2017
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

"what wireless devices are you using - what is the spec of the wifi card/chip in them - 40 meg may be all the device is capable of - thats nothing to do with VM

if you are using the latest smart phone or tablet then 40 is poor but that again may not be the fault of VM - what channel are you using - what channels are other wifi routers around you using - are you on 2.4 or 5 - wifi is all down to you to set up - you have the speed at the modem - thats what you are paying for - i accept the hubs are not the best wifi devices on the market but with the correct settings with devices that are not limited they can give good wifi speeds"

This is from my one year old Huawei P9 smartphone, again just in the next room to the router

20**:**:**:**:**:**.jpg

As for the wifi card I'm using an ASUS PCE-N10 11n Wireless LAN PCI-E Card which is supposed to be able to handle speeds up to 150mbps. 

0 Kudos
SFox2017
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

"and you are using 2.4ghz that is even worse then 5ghz. and the wifi scanner can only see wifi not anything else on the 2.4 ghz channels.

Baby monitors, cordless phones, wireless cctv, microwaves, video senders, bluetooth and many more"

Screenshot_20180516-200227.png

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The Asus is a single stream (one antenna) 2.4Ghz wireless adapter whichhas a LINK speed of 150Mbps. The LINK speed is the maximum theoretical speed in one direction without taking overheads into account. Actual speeds will be around 50 - 65% of the link speed due to the way wireless works.

For a 150Mbps Link speed you need to use two wireless channels bonded together to form a 40Mhz wide channel. A single wireless channel will have a max Link speed of 72Mbps, around 35 - 45Mbps real world speeds. As you can see from the graph a 40Mhz wide channel will take up effectively 2/3rds of the available spectrum making it prone to interference. (along with non-802.11 devices as mentioned earlier.

As you see from the WiFi Analyser graph There are three networks in range, two on channel 7 (a bad channel) and one on Channel 11. These networks will be interfering with each other as the channels are overlapping.(this is why CH 7 is a bad channel, CH 6 would be better as it doesn't overlap with CH 11)

The P9 has a Broadcom BCM4345 wifi\ bluetooth chipset which is a single stream a\b\g\n\ac card. As it is single stream the same limitation will apply on the 2.4Ghz band as the Asus.

Providing you have a Hub 3 or SH2AC you should be able to get near 200Mbps close to the router, providing you have the Hub set up to use the 5Ghz 80Mhz channel. However, you will need to be fairly close to the Hub to make use of the 80Mhz channel, needing a signal strength > -54dBm. Unfortunately distance and walls provide significant obstacles to the signal strength, and once your signal drops so, will the speeds, especially as the P9 is only single stream so speeds can fall off quite sharply.

Unfortunately, popularity doesn't change the laws of physics.

0 Kudos