cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wild fluctuating broadband speeds

Mr_meeseeks
Joining in

Hello, 

I recently joined virgin from sky, I was really looking forward to the fast broadband speeds offered by virgin but I am just really frustrated and unhappy with the fluctuating speeds, it can go from 400-500 mbps and drop right down to 2 mbps, there is no pattern to this, no heavy usage etc, there are only two of us in the house, we both work from home so rely on a reliable broadband connection, while sky might not have been able to offer 500 mbps, it always remained at a reliable 40-50 throughout my contract, is there a problem with my setup? Or is this just the normal service from virgin? Seriously considering just cancelling the whole lot and going back to sky 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
you agreed to it. its part of the T&C.
if you are out of contract or still in the cooling off period you can cancel.
but for the sake of the cost of a good wireless router its worth the investment

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Anonymous
Not applicable
so are you going to pay more to get a better router?
No isp garantee wifi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
is that wired?

This is through WiFi, I assume that wired would be more consistent, however the speeds I am getting through WiFi for large portions of the day are really unacceptable. while I am not expecting 400-500 all day, I would at least expect a workable speed of around 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
wifi has no speed guarantees.
the hub is not a great wireless device.

you'll be better getting your own router or mesh system

Thanks, while this might explain what is happening, I am not happy with the WiFi speeds I am getting, if this is what the virgin excuse is going to be, then I think a cancellation is on the cards, what's the point in having these fast Internet speeds, if you are only going to get 2mps through the wifi, waste of everyones time and certainly not what I was expecting, I was warned about joining virgin and I am now starting to see why...

Anonymous
Not applicable
you agreed to it. its part of the T&C.
if you are out of contract or still in the cooling off period you can cancel.
but for the sake of the cost of a good wireless router its worth the investment

Still in cooling off period, don't really see why I should have to buy equipment when I am already paying through the nose for the top package, here's a tip for virgin if they bother reading these pages, stop bothering about getting the "fastest broadband speeds" and invest in a better router so you customers can actually access the Internet through WiFi, it's 2021, I should not need to be tethered to my router to use the Internet. 2mbps is not an acceptable speed regardless of the TCS

Anonymous
Not applicable
so are you going to pay more to get a better router?
No isp garantee wifi

You dont need to spend a lot of money on 3rd party router..about £50 will do the job. I switched from Talktalk a year ago and recently renewed for another 18month have no plans to return to Openreach. The 3rd party router was well spent IMO.

I don't know what top package you paying for at Virgin but normally new customer rates are very decent. Sky charge £27 for 60mbs and Virgin 210mpbs is cheaper so use that as comparision.

Virgin can be unstable but once its fixed its best Mbs/£.

You can go back to Sky but unless they able to supply G.Fast to your property you limited to that 60mbs.

sayekm_0-1613512009236.png

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

Probably not to be honest, never had any issues with WiFi with sky, no additional kit required, service was stable and a decent 40-50mbps, so think going back to sky is the only solution i am entertaining, if virgin think it's acceptable to hide behind their t and c's and expect me to be happy with 2mbps or pay for a router while paying them £80-£90 quid month for their package, then that's their own fault for losing a customer