cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi

Fin1988
Joining in

I Have purchased a 1gig fibre connection and I have a issue so I rang up and got a wifi booster I Ethernet the booster to my pc but I only get a 1 mbps upload and a 200 kbps download

Can someone pls help thanks

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What do you get on a computer/laptop connected to the Hub on a Cat5e/6 ethernet cable?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I get the same 1mbps upload and 200kbos download

KBPs

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Wired directly to the Hub with a Cat6a cable??  Don’t use the power line adapters. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you test speeds this way....

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Fin1988,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you've had some issues with your speeds. Have you been able to test the speeds as jbrennand has advised?

Alex_Rm