cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi

Timwilky
Fibre optic

Before replying understand where I  comings from.

I run in modem mode with a number of access points connected at 10 Gb but they only give a theoretical connection of 4.6Gb. My poor VM connection will deliver about 920Mb wired and to my laptop when connected using WiFi 6 AX.

My complaint mr Virgin Media. Why is my WiFi on my 4 year old mobile only 550Mb and on my old Samsung tab 3 about 300Mb. I don't give a damn that these devices have old network specs. They were leading edge when I  brought them.

So Mr Virgin Media what are you going to do to ensure I get my full internet network speed by WiFi on all devices 

Don't say turn back router mode on the hub as that would stop my WiFi to garden room. And garages. Stop my ipv6 tunnels, stop my VPNs. Stop my reverse proxy etc.

Of course all the above is tongue in cheek and I  know the old network technologies on my old devices will not deliver modern high speed WiFi. But neither will the supplied hub 4!

I wrote this simply as a result of reading so many complaints about VM WiFi where the posters assume they are buying a state of the art WiFi connection. Without understanding the limitations

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky
5 REPLIES 5

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's not a speed, it's a capacity...

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Timwilky, I am sorry to hear about the issues which you are having with the connection and we would only be able to run tests if the Hub is moved back to router mode. You are using a 3rd party router for the connection and we would not be able to detect a fault with this. I can see that the Virgin hub has been operating non stop for 25 days and would recommend that you reboot the hub to see if anything changes?. ^Chris 

Chris. I hope that was intended to be a poke back to my post. I had tried to explain my domestic wifi infrastructure was far superior to most delivering multiple gig to the house  garages and garden office. My speed complaint is simply some of my devices are not capable of using the available potential throughput. A parody of what I often read on these pages where users complain of poor wifi without understanding the constraints of physical obstructions. Yesterday's technologies  etc.

I come from a background where systems are expected to work uninterrupted for years, so slightly concerned  that you find 25 days justifying a reboot. I have installed networks all over the world using vsat, packet switching and x25. Etc.  No way would I ever expect someone at the remote end to reboot a device

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Timwilky wrote:

I run in modem mode with a number of access points connected at 10 Gb but they only give a theoretical connection of 4.6Gb. My poor VM connection will deliver about 920Mb wired and to my laptop when connected using WiFi 6 AX.

My complaint mr Virgin Media. Why is my WiFi on my 4 year old mobile only 550Mb and on my old Samsung tab 3 about 300Mb. I don't give a damn that these devices have old network specs.

Your problem... 

@Chris_W1 wrote:

I can see that the Virgin hub has been operating non stop for 25 days and would recommend that you reboot the hub to see if anything changes?. ^Chris 

I've not rebooted my hub and its fine 207 days😎

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @Timwilky,

Thank you for your post. I'm afraid that a wireless/Wi-Fi connection won't deliver speeds across several devices as quick as it will deliver speeds via an Ethernet cable directly to a device. Along with that, if you're using third party with your equipment for your connection then we would be able to provide limited support for them, only Virgin Media equipment such as our router and any boosters we may have provided.

If you're having any ongoing issues with your connection then please let us know and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!