cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi speeds dramatically dropped

Alexingram10
Joining in

Hi, I have M350 with a hub 3. We have a tv, 2 laptops and 2 phones connected to the WiFi. When I am in the living room where the router is I am able to get max speeds of around 280mbs down and 36mbs up and a ping of 9. When I go into my office to my desk which is in the room next door, approx 20ft from the router, the speeds drop dramatically to around 24mbs down, 6mbs up and ping of 46. I live in a converted Victorian townhouse so it’s not like the walls are full of insulation. 

Does anyone know how to solve this so that I can get more reliable speeds? I would understand such a drastic drop in speeds if the router was in a completely different part of the house, but this sort of drop off doesn’t seem right? I do a lot of video calls and the WiFi is so unreliable and keeps dropping off when in the office so I have to take calls in the living room right next to the router. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Alex

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Victorian bricks have a high iron content, so excellent for blocking WiFi. The best solution would be to run an Ethernet cable to the Office, and install a proper WiFi access point, possibly with additional Ethernet ports. 
Alternatively look at a Mesh solution, e.g. Deco M4

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hoggie
Fibre optic

My house is a concrete box with rebar in every wall and foil-backed ceilings.

With the use of an AP, a netgear Nighthawk X4S smart router. I get almost perfect speeds all over the house.

the hub3 not helping much with its poor wifi signal output, I have my TV and 360 box on a switch connected via CAT7 cable.

The X4S is connected straight from the hub3 using CAT7 with bedroom tv connected via CAT6.

WiFi is used by two phones, two laptops and a few WiFi sockets for voice/google controlled lights.

The set-up has been flawless over a simple 100meg internet.

highly recommend the use of a good AP as boosters are a touch temperamental. 

The super hub3 is rather low-powered on the WiFi side of things, and I wished Virgin would put a couple of good antennas on its routers.

this post may contain nuts 😉

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Alexingram10

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forums and welcome to the team! 

I am so sorry to hear that your WiFi connections are effected! Can I ask if you have any wired connections that are also showing signs of slow speeds? 

Are you able to connect a laptop via an Ethernet cable and perform a speed test for us? 

Thank you.