cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi speed

BEF
Up to speed

Hi, I am on M200 Mbps - my speed tests are between 16 and 20Mbps download and around 18 upload speed. Is this normal? I work from home downloading and editing large video files but it is still running pretty slowly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Powerline adaptors are a sort of evil "in between" solution, because they're highly vulnerable to complications from mains wiring leading to poor speeds.

Try completely wireless - over 5GHz you should see around 170-200 Mbps unless the wifi environment is poor.  And if wifi isn't reliable or fast enough, bite the bullet and use a proper ethernet cable.  An alternative option is to move the hub (£25 non-fault call out charge).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What speeds do you get over Ethernet hard-wired connections?

No provider will guarantee wireless speeds, there's too many variables beyond their control - and VM is no exception.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BEF wrote:

<snip>    I work from home downloading and editing large video files but it is still running pretty slowly.

With that sort of workload I would recommend you move to a Cat 6a ethernet cabled connection.   Wifi is prone to interference and has no speed guarantee from VM.

To monitor your circuit, setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping to check the status.  It may be external to your property is causing the slowdown?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you both for your help and advice. I am just wondering... The hub3 is get up in the lounge and I am hard wired from a VM booster plug in another room. Does that count as hardwired or still WiFi? 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Powerline adaptors are a sort of evil "in between" solution, because they're highly vulnerable to complications from mains wiring leading to poor speeds.

Try completely wireless - over 5GHz you should see around 170-200 Mbps unless the wifi environment is poor.  And if wifi isn't reliable or fast enough, bite the bullet and use a proper ethernet cable.  An alternative option is to move the hub (£25 non-fault call out charge).

Thank you, I like the "move the hub" option and going hardwired. I will definitely consider doing this. Thanks for everyone's help!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BEF wrote:

Thank you, I like the "move the hub" option and going hardwired. I will definitely consider doing this. Thanks for everyone's help!

Don;t forget when you move the Hub, you are only moving the poor wifi performance from one place to another.   You might consider a Mesh system to improve the "whole home" wifi situation.   £25 is about 25% of the cost of a decent Mesh system.

Hi BEF, thanks for messaging via the forums. Can you confirm if you are still having issues with this and if moving the hub has changed anything? Please let us know how it goes? ^Chris

Hi Chris, I haven't decided on either option (move the hub/utilise a mesh system) at the moment. The reason being, I am in the process of moving house. I am looking to an improved stronger WiFi connection for the new house, not this one. So until we actually move into the new property my hands are tied.

Having said that, a new speed test just completed has improved up to 25.46MB/s, can't think why? I will keep you posted just as soon as we are moved in. Hopefully sometime in April.

Do feel free to come back to us at a later date, via this thread to discuss this further with us @BEF, and we'll be happy to assist you where possible, with which option you wish to take 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn