Menu
SirBotALot
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

WiFi speed slow

I have been having issues with the V6 hub for quite a while now. It is getting speed to the hub but regard speed via wifi is a whole different matter. I have upgraded to the ultimate oomph pack with 500mb/s broadband but only get 160mb/s max wi-fi speed. Im at the end of my tether with this hub given I have tried everything in the book to get it to work

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi speed slow

Wireless speeds are affected by many factors like Client Hardware, Range, Interference, which Band you are using, The Number of devices sharing the same channel, The Topography of your home etc. etc.

I would start with what devices are you testing with.
Bear in mind you will need a 3 x 3 MIMO Wireless AC clients to get speeds of 500Mbps wirelessly.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi speed slow

160 Mbps over wifi is a very good speed for a VM Hub.    

Whilst the theoretical speeds of wifi are much higher, in the real world most 2.4 GHz connections max out at around 80 Mbps, and the 5 GHz can push to 200 Mbps on a high quality device, but that falls off rapidly with range, so about 140 Mbps is the best I'll get on the other side of my house, and your 160 sounds perfectly respectable.

If you hoped that VM's 500 Mbps came with a router capable of delivering 500 Mbps speeds via wifi, I'm sorry to disappoint you.  VM's mendacious advertising conceals the poor quality of their Hub's wifi, because many people wouldn't bother paying for higher speeds if they realised that they'll never see those speeds over wifi.  Hence the aggressive marketing of the "intelligent wifi" feature.    

I'm not sure of many practical uses for 500 Mbps to individual devices, but if you do need/want that speed from one side of the house to the other you'll need to use wired ethernet connections and run the cables directly between the hub and the devices concerned.  You could alternatively invest cira £200 in a premium grade wifi router which could deliver 500 Mbps wifi speeds over the range you want, but that still might not work because quite often slow wifi is because the device is slow, not solely because the Hub is low spec, and you'd still have any local interference and distance issues.

0 Kudos