cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Speeds after upgrade

Legreen
Tuning in

Hi,

I’ve just upgraded from M100 to M200 but the speeds on my WiFi devices haven't changed at all. I have the virgin hub in modem mode connected to a mesh system and the mesh shows speeds of over 200mbps but my WiFi speeds are exactly the same (Speed tests done on my iPad Pro and iPhone 13). I’ve rebooted everything but nothing has changed.

Can anyone help please?I was looking to increase my speed further at contract renewal but if my WiFi devices aren’t going to get any boost then I am not sure it will be worth the cost. 

Thanks, 

Louise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Legreen wrote:

So I’ve done a complete reboot again and I can get 200 mbps on my iPad via WiFi when nothing else is connected - once all the other devices start to come back online then it drops to around 106 at its best. The WiFi is definitely quicker in rooms that never got up to 100 mbps before and more consistent so that’s good - I guess I expected more!

My question now is what kind of speed do I need to upgrade to, to get the sort of WiFi speeds I’m after? 350 or 500? Or will I not see much difference. My mobile is due for renewal so was looking at Volt options too. 

It still sounds like something on the TPLink is doing some traffic management.

If you have several devices connected and none of the others are using any data your iPad should still 'see' 200Mbps.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check this first....

Go into the Hub settings and find the "Configuration Data" page/data - what numbers are in the "Maximum Data Transfer Rate" boxes for both downstream and upstream?

If its been upgraded then the numbers (in bps - not Mbps) will start... 2nnnnnnn... - if they start 1nnnn... then your upgrade hasnt been applied yet.

If it has been applied... what Mesh make/model do you have?  Some of the less expensive ones only have 10/100 ports and so will max out at 100mbps.  They need to specifically say they are 1Gigabit ports.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yes it has been upgraded and I’ve a TP Link Deco x20 system which I believe handles 1 gigabit.

When I speed test the deco in its app it goes over 200mbps just no connected WiFi device will go higher than 100 which is the same as before the upgrade. 

@Legreen wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yes it has been upgraded and I’ve a TP Link Deco x20 system which I believe handles 1 gigabit.

When I speed test the deco in its app it goes over 200mbps just no connected WiFi device will go higher than 100 which is the same as before the upgrade. 

Do you have any QOS settings enabled on the TPLink?

It has the option to set priority for each connected device. I had it enabled for some (including the ones I’ve been testing the speed of). I’ve turned them all off and it hasn’t changed anything. 

So I’ve done a complete reboot again and I can get 200 mbps on my iPad via WiFi when nothing else is connected - once all the other devices start to come back online then it drops to around 106 at its best. The WiFi is definitely quicker in rooms that never got up to 100 mbps before and more consistent so that’s good - I guess I expected more!

My question now is what kind of speed do I need to upgrade to, to get the sort of WiFi speeds I’m after? 350 or 500? Or will I not see much difference. My mobile is due for renewal so was looking at Volt options too. 

@Legreen wrote:

It still sounds like something on the TPLink is doing some traffic management.

If you have several devices connected and none of the others are using any data your iPad should still 'see' 200Mbps.

Thank you, thank you for your help. I’ve done another trawl through the Deco settings and the QoS needed tweaking. Done and all good now!