Menu
Rhino14
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Speed Issues

We’ve moved home in the last 7 months and have had nothing but issues with our wifi connection, mostly ok with devices however whenever my wife is working from home there are issues with our wifi dropping out. The speeds we are getting are consideredably lower than the 350 we’re paying for. Our last engineer callout replaced the hub but said our house walls were the issue. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Speed Issues

Are connections on ethernet cables stable and fast? If you dont know can you test it.

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better wireless kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” (1GB & UOoomph) and worth trying then - but most will be charged £5/month and right now they dont have enough supplies to provide them - unless you have a demonstrable wifi issue.

And at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Rhino14
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response, sadly much of it is “foreign” to me. I will look into all of what you said. 

0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey @Rhino14,

Thanks for your recent post. Sorry that you've been having speed issues!

How have you gotten on with John's advice? Are you still having any issues?

Let us know and if so, we can do our best to assist further 🙂

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos