Menu
rgcole
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why is wifi so poor?

Everything was fine until I paused football, my speed dramatically dropped and went from relatively stable to intermittent.

According to broadband.co.uk I should be able, in theory, to get 200Mb, I'm regularly getting less than 10mb. This is meant to be top of the range fibre, it's acting more like dial-up!

My band speed has never been 200Mb, but it was significantly quicker before I paused football.

What I'd like to know is, who flicked the switch to moved my speed from 'ok', to 'dead slow' and why do you do that to loyal customers? What's the gain? 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is wifi so poor?

what speed do you get wired.

No one has limited your speed and pausing sports wont of effected it
0 Kudos
ybskyaw
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@rgcole wrote: 

Everything was fine until I paused football, my speed dramatically dropped and went from relatively stable to intermittent.

According to broadband.co.uk I should be able, in theory, to get 200Mb, I'm regularly getting less than 10mb. This is meant to be top of the range fibre, it's acting more like dial-up!

My band speed has never been 200Mb, but it was significantly quicker before I paused football.

What I'd like to know is, who flicked the switch to moved my speed from 'ok', to 'dead slow' and why do you do that to loyal customers? What's the gain? 

Thank you very much. I am also looking for the same. Can some one please respond.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get wired?

ybskyaw - start you own thread please

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
rgcole
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I get 9.63mb wired, in an area where apparently we can get up to 200Mb

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Wired direct to the hub and not via a powerline adaptor or switch etc?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
rgcole
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes, of course. Plugged directly into the back of the router.

For the record, I'm a systems manager, I do networks.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ah, ok.

In that case post the network, upstream and downstream logs from the hub please. 

0 Kudos
rgcole
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

First off, thank you for taking the time out to help me, it's appreciated. I'm now working from home and it's proving impossible with such slow speeds.

Please find to follow the Upload and Download info you requested, also the Network log.

Reverting to my original question, since I requested to put a hold on the sports channels, my speed has reduced, quite dramatically. So, is there a link between removing sports and broadband speed? Have Virgin downgraded my speed to a lesser package?

A few months ago I renewed my package, I pay a lot for this service, it was brilliant for the first year, so I know how good Virgin can be. I've not downgraded, I pay more now.

Thanks again

Upstream.jpgDownstream.jpgNetworkLog.jpg

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

No they haven’t reduced speeds because you’ve paused sports.

Being a network engineer you’ll be familiar with utilisation and contention, especially with more people working from home now and using the network than there was before.

You pics also need to be approved before they can be displayed - You'll need to upload them to a hosting site or copy and paste the logs here disregarding the HTML errors the first time you hit the post button. 

0 Kudos