Menu
Polish4aReason
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Why is my internet connection so slow and short...

Hey guys, 

new virgin media customer here. 

Is there any reason why my virgin media connection is so slow and the range is so bad? I’m supposed to get 100mbps, instead I get about 2, sometimes not even 1mbps.. done the tests with 3 different websites and all three give me below 1mbps. 

yes, there are the occasional 5 minutes where I may get about 25 mbps, but then the connection dies back down. 

This is isn’t just in my room either. The only room with over 30mbps connection is sitting next to the router, and even then it goes back down to maybe 5, when I’m right next to the router... 

the two bedrooms, toilet, kitchen and corridor basically have no internet. 

This is clearly not ideal nor is it what I was promised so if this continues I’m 100% thinking of changing providers. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is my internet connection so slow and short...

For starters you need to check the speed with a wired connection. That's the only way to determine whether the service is being delivered to the hub.

If it's OK wired then there's not a lot they can do. No ISP guarantees wireless performance, they have no control over it whatsoever. 

Dave

"The late great Douglas Adams: A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is my internet connection so slow and short...

Hello Polish4aReason, 

Welcome to the Community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about your slow speeds. As above, we would need to establish your hard-wired speeds to be able to investigate. Please perform this test and get back to us with your results. 

Catch you again soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos