cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my 200 mbps providing only 20mbps

Lenny1234
Joining in

I ony get a tenth of the advertized speed and find the technical support from Virgin either providing a load of reasons why it only gives 20mbps, not very believable such as it being due to having a wired printer into the back of my hub or having 11 devices connected on the nextwork, or either very incompetent.

Could a wired printer or having 11 devices reduce my speed by so much? 2 of the devices are tuned off most of the time and the rest are just Firesticks, Laptop, printer, CCTV, phone's and a nest device

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What speed do you get on the Laptop when its connected to the Hub on a Cat5e/6/7 cable?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Lenny1234

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding the sluggish speeds you are experiencing, I'm sorry to hear your connection is slow - that is not ideal. What speed are you getting when you connect a laptop via ethernet cable and run a speed test virg.in/speedtest? This will enable us to decipher if the issue lies with your WiFi or with the speeds being sent.

Have you taken a look at virg.in/speedtest for more information on how to improve your speeds?

Kind regards,

Serena