Menu
Highlighted
max1000000
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why do I get this message about powering my router on and off every day?

Virgin have replaced my router three times now and every day I experience speeds of 0.48 MBPS on my 100 MBPS line. 

Then whenever I run a test, I get the message below saying "We've checked your equipment and need 10 minutes to fix it. After 10 minutes, you'll need to turn everything off and then on again". 

I don't have time to do this every day. 

Does everyone have these problems? If not, what is the fix?

Turn off and turn on.jpg

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do I get this message about powering my router on and off every day?

No, most of us don't have anything like that problem, and it isn't acceptable to have to reboot everything and run diagnostics on a daily basis.  As you've been through three or more Hubs, then the problem certainly is not the Hub, and VM have repeatedly misdiagnosed the problem.  The automated VM connection test is notorious for not properly fixing any real problem (there's a theory that the "test my connection" system is a placebo that doesn't actually do ANYTHING other than generate a message to persuade customers that their problem has been sorted).

You could try posting the router status pages here and if there's anything obvious we might be able to spot it, but make sure you take the stats when the connection is slow.  You could also mosey on down to Thinkbroadband.com, create an account and set up a Broadband Quality Monitor - that is a further check on the line quality.

0 Kudos
max1000000
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's really helpful, many thanks Andruser. I'm going to try all of those.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A pleasure to assist.  I suspect the VM forum staff may soon appear and be able to help - as they're UK based, and fully certified as breathing, intelligent humans they should be able to call up the necessary technical resources to investigate properly - the multiple Hub replacements suggest the offshore team just went for the easiest fix to get you off the phone.  

If they don't get round to it soon, this is what a reasonably healthy VM Hub 3 BQM looks like.  Ideally it wouldn't have that "clump" at around 2pm yesterday, and the fewer and smaller yellow spikes the better, but this isn't something I'd complain about.  What you need to watch out for is more intensive yellow traces, and any red at all at the top of the BQM chart.  If there's the tiniest hint of red, then your connection is suffering packet loss, and that kills the connection speed because data has to be transmitted.

0 Kudos
max1000000
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Andruser - I’ll watch for reds then.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You havent said, are the low speeds only on wifi connected devices or do those on ethernet cable connections also display the problem?
What device(s) are you using to run the tests?

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, you need to do it this way first.

Make sure your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or “limited to that) and has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6 ethernet cable (old ones do "go off" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Check speeds like that first.
If they are still low - then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds). Run the tests at speedtest.net (try on x2 VM servers) on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues).
Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.