Menu
mossman
Super solver
Message 261 of 411
Flag for a moderator

Re: Where will 500 Mbps roll out first?

@SherlockHolmes wrote:

I'm aware of Virgin Medias profit motive.

But their attempt at getting more revenue from me by trying to force a sim card on me thats no use is pretty poor.

The sim card being the only thing there to tempt folk like me already on the top tier is a misstep. But give it a couple weeks and I'm sure they will be offering to upgrade folk on the vip 350 package to 500 without the sim but for another few quid.

Perhaps they are not aimimg this at you at this time? Maybe they don't want too many customers on V500 on one cabinet (wait for DOCSIS 3.1?)

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 262 of 411
Flag for a moderator

Bit more for business customers: regrade to Voom 500 for the 35 up means a new 24 month contract. No other option for higher upload other than DIA.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
sjholland
Dialled in
Message 263 of 411
Flag for a moderator

According to what I have read the V VIP package is now replacing the VIP package.

I am in the middle of a 12 month VIP package expiring in September. I currently pay £94 pm (including talk anytime). That goes up to £101 in August and (if I have not renegotiated) to £124 next February.

This new V VIP package is apparently £99 pm for the first 12 months and £133 pm thereafter.

I do not need 500 MBPs download (350 is good enough for me). I do not want a SIM card. But it looks as if I will end up paying more for this new "deal" than I currently do once I am out of contract.

A bit silly really. 

0 Kudos
mossman
Super solver
Message 264 of 411
Flag for a moderator

@sjholland wrote:

According to what I have read the V VIP package is now replacing the VIP package.

I am in the middle of a 12 month VIP package expiring in September. I currently pay £94 pm (including talk anytime). That goes up to £101 in August and (if I have not renegotiated) to £124 next February.

This new V VIP package is apparently £99 pm for the first 12 months and £133 pm thereafter.

I do not need 500 MBPs download (350 is good enough for me). I do not want a SIM card. But it looks as if I will end up paying more for this new "deal" than I currently do once I am out of contract.

A bit silly really. 

Don't VM normally keep customers on legacy packages until such time as VM wish to remove those legacy packages at which point they move them onto  the next appropriate package FoC? This is what they have previously done for legacy standalone broadband packages as I recall.

0 Kudos
AliasNeo
Dialled in
Message 265 of 411
Flag for a moderator

What was VM's approach when 350 was first rolled out?

Was it a free upgrade to everyone already on the existing top tier package or exclusive to a new VIP package?

I suspect it was the latter just as is happening here.

0 Kudos
Touhoufan
On our wavelength
Message 266 of 411
Flag for a moderator

350 rolled out as something you could order normally and anyone on 300 back then was put onto 350 automatically I think.

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Rising star
Message 267 of 411
Flag for a moderator

@mossman wrote:

@SherlockHolmes wrote:

Ignition - I appreciate your frustration at the cost of high speed business broadband. But I suppose it's what the charge simply because they can.

Business broadband prices are artificially high to an extent. But now theres 500mb going to be available to residential customers and gigabit speeds on the horizon within the next two or so years, then prices will surely come down. Or if they dont come down then headline business speeds will have to increase to make it seem worth the cost compared to residential speeds.

I doubt retentions will be giving it away to just anyone but I'm on the vip 350 package and pay £90 a month. The new V.vip adds an unlimited sim which is useless to me due to lack of signal at my home.

I don't think its too much to expect to be put on 500 without paying any more money.

Well, if VM did that then they would not be getting any additional revenue from you (which really is the point at the moment - persuade customers to upgrade & thereby increase their revenue stream)

`and that's fair enough I just shaved £40 a month off my bill with all my services across providers by going 100% with VM - that's £40 more towards the DIA is is now also £24 a month cheaper - seems a big shakeup at VM going on. 

I won't lie I am confused - my order tracker says they can my upgrade remotely and so no one needs to come to my property! - that's good - can they remotely walk in 2 tivo boxes and a phone line too? 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 268 of 411
Flag for a moderator

Two TiVos? I thought you could do without VM's TV.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Rising star
Message 269 of 411
Flag for a moderator

I can - but I also have 2 tenants to think about and they both want TV - they are paying for it after all
0 Kudos
mossman
Super solver
Message 270 of 411
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:

@mossman wrote:

@SherlockHolmes wrote:

Ignition - I appreciate your frustration at the cost of high speed business broadband. But I suppose it's what the charge simply because they can.

Business broadband prices are artificially high to an extent. But now theres 500mb going to be available to residential customers and gigabit speeds on the horizon within the next two or so years, then prices will surely come down. Or if they dont come down then headline business speeds will have to increase to make it seem worth the cost compared to residential speeds.

I doubt retentions will be giving it away to just anyone but I'm on the vip 350 package and pay £90 a month. The new V.vip adds an unlimited sim which is useless to me due to lack of signal at my home.

I don't think its too much to expect to be put on 500 without paying any more money.

Well, if VM did that then they would not be getting any additional revenue from you (which really is the point at the moment - persuade customers to upgrade & thereby increase their revenue stream)

`and that's fair enough I just shaved £40 a month off my bill with all my services across providers by going 100% with VM - that's £40 more towards the DIA is is now also £24 a month cheaper - seems a big shakeup at VM going on. 

I won't lie I am confused - my order tracker says they can my upgrade remotely and so no one needs to come to my property! - that's good - can they remotely walk in 2 tivo boxes and a phone line too? 

Self-install for Tivo, and the phone plugs into the phone socket on the Hub3 perhaps?