Menu
madwayne
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 94
Flag for a moderator

When will upload speeds increase

I am tired of download speed upgrades and no upload speed upgrades.

by all accounts I can take a loss in download speed and not really  notice the difference.

currently getting 110 download and less than 5 upload which is pants.

When on the 70MB download I was getting similar upload speeds for me the upload is the limiting factor.

when you consider that Vodafone offers 76Mb download and 20Mb upload and it costs less then what is the point of staying ?

am currently researching Vodafone as a possible move this time as the price it right if the speed is 70 mb upload and 10 to 20 upload it would be a vast improvement on where I am now.

I can see my virgin line is capable ofmuch better speeds, 350Mb for a business line would be available and that would give me a 10Mb upload  at £36 inc VAT.

I need more upload speed, so please can you offer that in future rather than upping the download speed foc (not so sure its free mind as my bill keeps going up).

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Re: When will upload speeds increase

My 200Mb download product has 12Mb upload and, if I recall correctly, the 300Mb product has 20Mb upload.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 94
Flag for a moderator

Vodaphone etc all use different tech to VM, that’s why they can offer the higher uploads.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
madwayne
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 94
Flag for a moderator

well its a case of how its advertised and how much you want to pay I guess.

as with different tech, Virgin manage the speeds is my understanding and if I wanted faster uploads its  a case of switching it on and once you go above certain speeds the router needs to be updated.

My issue is paying for what I need versus what I don't, I don't need to have gone from 70 to 100, I would much have preferred to have gone from below 5 to 20 upload.

To get 20 upload speed I am going to have to pay way over the odds on virgin, whilst its easier to keep virgin it may no longer be the best value longer term.

Why should I upgrade to 200Mb download when 100Mb is more than enough and that premium when Vodafone offer a cheaper solution with a decent speed of 76Mb and 20Mb, although that would have to be confirmed on actual trial.

in deed a leased line has 1Gb speeds upload and download but haven't been able to confirm exactly how that works as it appears its limited to much lower than this on any part of the system so didn't quite follow how its 1Gb but limited to 30Mb u/d for £149 a month.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 94
Flag for a moderator

if Vm packages do not suite your needs then the answer is clear. you need to move to vodafone

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 94
Flag for a moderator

With VM it’s how small the spectrum is for upload. The network was designed for TV which didn’t require much upload, that’s why the upload is so limited. They don’t offer the higher upload for everyone as there just isn’t ‘room’ for it.

Only really needs 3 people uploading at full whack on 20Mbs to cripple the upload speed for the rest on that channel, and bear in mind they would service in the hundreds. Admittedly it’s spread a bit so Likely need around 5-10 people (depending if spread over 2-4 channels). But still it doesn’t take much to saturate the upload on VM DOCSIS.

Things should change a bit for upload when DOCSIS3.1 is rolled out. But for now if you need the upload and don’t like VMs packages, go vodaphone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
madwayne
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 94
Flag for a moderator

there is room for it as it can be offered in another package deal.

looked at lots of options  and don't understand the leased line but at £180 inc VAT its more than I want to pay, iother leased line options are nearly half tht but not in the area anyway

like most things I hate changing if I can get something close wont have to move.

I just have to have 200MB download or 300Mb download speeds to get a decent upload speed, I have been with ntl/virgin from dial up days and over three different properties spanning a long time, we have 5G coming but that's going to be slow take up price and installation of infrastructure could be very expensive but speed in excess of 1GB are possible. Currently only way to get close to that is a dedicated leased line. 

0 Kudos
madwayne
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 94
Flag for a moderator

difference between 3 and 3.1?

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 94
Flag for a moderator

@madwayne wrote:

there is room for it as it can be offered in another package deal.

The faster uploads are only available on the 200/300 package to manage demand, simply because there isn't capacity to provide faster uploads to everyone. The foundations of the Virgin network were built in the 80s/90s for cable TV, with no knowledge that one day it would be used for high speed internet.

Docsis 3.1 will improve things a lot and some US cable companies are planning to offer symmetrical packages in the next couple of years, but if you need faster uploads without switching to the 300 package, then changing provider is the only option for now.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Symmetrical-Cable-Broadband-Coming-in-Next-24-Months-1390...

0 Kudos
madwayne
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 94
Flag for a moderator

or pay more money.

l have done some reading on the subject, but as the infrastructure doesn't have to change on virgin? whats the delay on implementing?

The field isn't balanced as to whats on offer, gain here lose there, charge X, in remote locations that had poor speed super fast speeds are being rolled out.

as for short sightedness I remember when people said mobile phones wont catch on.

In general people want more faster, quicker and cheaper then previously available, I can remember wanting to use the Prestel network when I was a kid (showing my age) and back then the ZX spectrum could use a modem, but not many folk had them, in fact don't think anyone I knew ever had one.

whilst I used to be very up on these sort of things, but how is download different from upload, ie  why cant you split the load differently, even temporary split.

for example I need to download lots of data I have my download stream maxed out, but if I need upload I max that out and slow down my upload speed.

I don't know how intelligent these systems can or cant be, however we live in a fast paced world with some things, and docs3.1 isn't exactly brand new tech, don't know the exact age but when it refers to 2012 and 2014 in a lot of things I have read its been around for at l;east 5 years.

As for speed,  my upload sped is under performing and pretty much always does under perform, my download speed over performs at 110?

0 Kudos