cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can I get VM?

colinreid
On our wavelength

Hey all.

So I moved to a new area ML2 7PD 5 months ago and I can only get 60 down with Openreach BT which is rubbish..

It seems that I can only get FTTC and apparently FTTP is coming but was wondering if anyone that works with VM could find out for me?

Would be nice to have 100 or 200 down again esp for gaming..

Kind regards

Colin

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

@colinreid wrote:

Snip….

Would be nice to have 100 or 200 down again esp for gaming..

Kind regards

Colin

Actually no, contrary to what some believe, you don’t actually need fast speeds for gaming, other than to save some time downloading the games in the first place. What you do want however is low and stable latency, and for various technical reasons all too boring to go into here, an Openreach connection generally has better latency than a VM one even if it is slower in headline speed.

This is especially so in the case of a FTTP connection but even a FTTC one will generally give a superior experience.

colinreid
On our wavelength

Yeah I guess its just I was so used to having 300mb down in my parents house before I moved and I could tell a difference and it would lag here and there which I dont get because Im using the ethernet cable connected to BTs WIFI discs?..I dont know if I would need to get a gaming router or a WIFI booster pack thing instead or does that do the same idea as the discs?

Just sucks that I have to wait for a while for a game or update to download then that means I cant go and stream a show while Im doing that because it would buffer lol.

Kind regards

Colin- 

What's the point downloading a game fast only to lag like hell when you play it.

Virgins network has an inherently unstable latency, combine that with the puma chipset + overutilization in your area = a very bad time.

https://youtu.be/kCwxxcEwowg

This is the gaming experience for me.

Just look at the posts in the gaming section, and think again.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @colinreid,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry that we are not in your area at the moment.

You can register your interest on our service checker 'here' We are planning on expanding as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide