Menu
jaaybee89
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What wifi speed should i get?

I'm on m600 fiber (hub 3)and get between 80 and 250mbps occasionally dropping as low as 30mbps. However running a wired connection to xbox series x the console speed test is between 500 and 800mbps. I know wifi is slower but should it be this much slower?

Also the wifi connection cuts out for a second or two a few times every day, its a real pain when playing online games as you get removed from the game.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: What wifi speed should i get?

Depends on what devices you are connecting on wifi and what their speed capabilities are - and also whether they are connecting on the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands?

Have you tried separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" Then use a wifi scanning App to find the best 2.4 wifi channels to use (just use 1,6,11) — that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance

Are the drops just on wifi or do they occur at the same time on ethernet connections?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
jaaybee89
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The drops are on wifi, the wired devices very rarely experience the momentary drops but the speed does vary along.

Thanks for your advise.

0 Kudos
jaaybee89
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Update.

I've applied all your suggestions, separated the ids, and run a wifi scanner and switched to the suggested channels and disabled the optimisation.

On 2.4ghz  average down is now 90mbps

On 5.0ghz average down is now 160mbps

Too early to say if still getting dips.

Honestly the wifi has been bad ever since it was installed, I mean since they put the connection into the house from the road. I've contacted support many times and an engineer has been out 3 or 4 times, at this point I think I'm going to cancel my contract. I know the speeds I'm getting are still pretty fast but I'm paying for a service that isn't being provided.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

See message 14 in thus recent thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Intermittent-connection/td-p/4678825/page/2

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@jaaybee89 wrote:

Honestly the wifi has been bad ever since it was installed, I mean since they put the connection into the house from the road. I've contacted support many times and an engineer has been out 3 or 4 times, at this point I think I'm going to cancel my contract. I know the speeds I'm getting are still pretty fast but I'm paying for a service that isn't being provided.

The speed being delivered to the Super Hub is what you're paying for. From there, many things can affect the bandwidth different devices receive.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos