cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of ethernet cable for my new hub 5?

djr_uk
Up to speed

I've got a new hub 5 and want to take advantage of it on my pc. My PC is next to the hub and i'm currently looking to replace my rather battered ethernet cable what doesn't click in properly and is quite ancient.

I've gone for Veetop Flat Ethernet Cables 1.5m/4.9ft Cat7 High Speed 10Gbps RJ45 Cat 7 Networking Ethernet Cable with STP Copper Wires Shielded & Gold Plated Connection.

is a category 7 suitable or should i have gone for a category 5 or 6? i know the ethernet needs to go in the 2.5 socket on the back of the hub. just trying to maximize my speed on my pc.

Currently i'm getting 400mps on download speed but 600mps download on my iphone which is just connected to wifi! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If it's just your PC next to a hub then cat 5e is perfectly fine, being good for up to 1Gbps unless you have Gig1 and a PC with the capability of dealing with more than 1Gbps. All the Ethernet cables in my house are cat 5e as I have no devices which can handle more than 1Gbps. Cat 6 is good as well for up to 10Gbps and is what's supplied by VM I think, but Cat 7 is gross overkill.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If it's just your PC next to a hub then cat 5e is perfectly fine, being good for up to 1Gbps unless you have Gig1 and a PC with the capability of dealing with more than 1Gbps. All the Ethernet cables in my house are cat 5e as I have no devices which can handle more than 1Gbps. Cat 6 is good as well for up to 10Gbps and is what's supplied by VM I think, but Cat 7 is gross overkill.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Depending if you shopped for CAT6/7 FTP or STP if CAT7 cost less then a CAT6 then its a good deal.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Flat cables might not be twisted pairs.

Regardless of what CATxx is printed on the cable's jacket the cable will be out of spec if it is not UTP or STP.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Client62 wrote:

Flat cables might not be twisted pairs.

They are twisted pairs of four sets flat next to each other instead of round

sorry i'm not that technological clued up on this. it was this one: 

Veetop Flat Ethernet Cables 1.5m/4.9ft Cat7 High Speed 10Gbps RJ45 Cat 7 Networking Ethernet Cable with STP Copper Wires Shielded & Gold Plated Connec

is that any good? how would i also know how fast my pc can handle in terms of speed?

still only getting 400 down with the new wire. 

thanks again

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
It can depend on what installed on the PC and if the OS is on a SSD you can boot your PC in safe mode with networking to see if it goes any faster

its a fairly old computer now its about 5 years old Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz

Cat 6a cable is best in most cases these days, especially for 1gig users.... Your download speed will probably be limited by your old computers processor, network interface and old spinning hard drive !