cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is CONSIDERED to be a MINIMUM Signal to end my contract?

chrisgme
Joining in

Sorry if this is NOT the correct board. But I am on a new contract and gone back to the basic speed of 100mbps. Last year we were put up to 200 and it didn't materialise till 3 weeks before contract was up! But as we hadn't paid for it either... But we couldn't keep Now TV going! running without buffering! Engineer came out  fiddled and said 'Well with the way it was setup surprised you got ANJY signal' Which sort of made us smile! We were ALWAYS getting between 69 and 83 meg all year. Chap left and 200/201 all the time. We were going to move again but I was ill so had to stay with Virgin for another 28 months! Now back on 100 as I say but again getting mid 60"s to low 80's on WiFi. Only 3 devices. TV Now Sky or Prime. One phone and 1 laptop. 

So question is the speed and all we get is still causing buffering and drop outs. (Speed heck this am @0332 was 30's) but how low can they go for us to get out of our contract please. (Again apologies if in wrong board! Can a mod move please?)

Chris.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are loads of variables when it comes to WiFi.

It can be age of device, WiFi standards used by device, device location, surrounding interference, walls, site speed test is being ran from etc.

If you try by ethernet cable what speed do you get?

WiFi very rarely would ever show you full speeds from router to device.

You say Now TV; what is that running on? and how many devices are using your internet?

edit: didn't see shadow's post / crossed posting.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello
Thank for joining in on the forum, we will try the best to get your issue resolved.

How are you doing the speedtest is it either wired or wireless, wired is always the best option as wireless can be affected by many different things. Wireless speeds have never been guaranteed by virginmedia to be able to invoke the speed guarantee you would need to do tests on a wired connection.

Can you please post your network stats from the hub
Open a Web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) and enter the address http://192.168.0.1
Note: If you have enabled Modem Mode on your Hub 3.0 you will need to use 192.168.100.1 instead.
Posting the stats by copy and paste will remove all personal information so no breaches.
Do not login but click on where it says "Check Router Stats" and then copy and post from the following 4 tabs, Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network logs (if they are pasted then all personal information is * out) and we can check your power level, also while you about that can you please go around and check that all connectors to VM equipment are hand tight. Also while doing this please check for any damage to cable, or un-terminated connection without either coax or a terminator.
Also please run "Check service status" at the top right of this forum and call 0800 561 0061 to check for local issues.
Also one think you can do is too signup at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and setup a broadband quality monitor which will keep an eye on you connection by sending a small amount of data to the hub asking if it still on.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are loads of variables when it comes to WiFi.

It can be age of device, WiFi standards used by device, device location, surrounding interference, walls, site speed test is being ran from etc.

If you try by ethernet cable what speed do you get?

WiFi very rarely would ever show you full speeds from router to device.

You say Now TV; what is that running on? and how many devices are using your internet?

edit: didn't see shadow's post / crossed posting.

Hi there DJ  Many ,many thanks for your reply! Very good info (I DONT DOUBT!) But it will take me a week to work through it all! WAY over my head I'm afraid. I only really have my phone to do anything on. But I know I used a wired connection last time an engineer called. He checked our signal at 89mbps at the incoming termination. And I was getting the same on wi-fi. (The modem is just 18" from me?) But managed to get a laptop out and tested on there as well  same reading. Engineer removed the terminals and replaced  reconnected and lo and behold 200mbps! Which is what we were supposed to have been getting for 12 months!! But it sort of poured something on the idea that wi-fi is no good for checking speed. At least on my setup?

But new year  new contract and checked the other day and we had 43 down and 7.8 up. It dropped to 32 and 8. And then I asked the question. What speed....

Thank you anyway the both of you for taking the time to help me out. And by the way  I only have 3 items loked into the wi-fi. The only exception is my printer which is of course minimal use? But the signal fails at all times of day. And is MOST distinguished after midnight and 0600. High usage times do not seem to bother us?🤔

Thanks again.

Chris Goddard.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello chrisgme

Thanks for your post 

Sorry though to hear this is happening again 

I have had a look at your hub and we have a bit of a signal issue with the upstream and downstream levels 

This can be resolved by a Technician visit 

To get this sorted, I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L