Menu
r2d2rigo
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Weird speed issue - area 31, Reading

I have 70 Mb fibre and for the past 2-3 days I'm experiencing something weird - websites and downloads work at a max of 1 Mb but speed tests keep saying that I have 70-75 Mb.

Haven't had any issues in the past 3 years, so this is something new.

0 Kudos
Tomrich84
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Weird speed issue - area 31, Reading

I have the Exact same thing in basingstoke.. The last 2-3 days its dropped to 1mbps at peak times.. when i check in the morning/mid-day its fine.. Also it shows 200mbps even tho i am only getting 1mbps.. i think they are having big problems

0 Kudos
colonelpanic
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've got the same issue, and I'm also in Reading, Area 31.

Http/https downloads are sometimes very slow (And some web pages are sluggish).

Steam and Newsgroups are fine though (30 to 40 Megabytes/sec download). And some speed tests fly too. dslreports.com and speedtest.net reckoned 370+ mb/s down, 20 mb/s up.  

Http downloads like, eg. this , as pointed out in another thread (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Poor-Performace-Area-31/td-p/3594471) , give about 200KB/s tops.  It's a single-threaded download I presume, but it's normally much better than this.

Go to http://fast.com and I got  900kb/s or 1.5mb/s just now.

However... using a VPN, even the one in the Opera browser gives better results. 

Fast.com between  120-170 mb/s in Opera with its built-in VPN, and that 100MB  from speedtest took a few seconds rather than 15 minutes.

So perhaps there's some odd peering or routing issues going on for some traffic given that things are better via a VPN?

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
lucas-lucas
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Also experiencing this in area 31. Makes doing anything in the evenings almost impossible (unless I want to download my steam library...)
0 Kudos
Schouk
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Also in Reading Area 31

Im having the same sort of problem.

Always been able to connect to Game Servers in the US and Canada at any time of the day or night. In the last couple of days i cant connect at all in the late afternoon or evening yet early mornings are 100% fine.Others friends on Virgin Media in other area can connect fine.

Its like connections have suddenly started to be throttled in the evenings.

0 Kudos
lucas-lucas
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Happened again tonight. If I choose the default speedtest server I download at almost max speed. Any others and it's more like the observed speed elsewhere:

Hosted by Iomart (Maidenhead): 28.765 ms [Default Speedtest server]

Testing download speed................................................................................

Download: 85.49 Mbit/s

Hosted by Vodafone UK (Newbury): 44.8 ms

Testing download speed................................................................................

Download: 18.84 Mbit/s

Hosted by O2 UK (Slough): 213.628 ms

Download: 20.19 Mbit/s

0 Kudos
rpm2902
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I’m in area 31 (Bracknell) and have also been having the same issues with Speedtest showing 200+ speeds, but having issues streaming things. Particularly Netflix and YouTube
0 Kudos