Menu
Highlighted
carpii
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Was previously getting around 220Mbps, now being capped at 6Mbps

I just returned from a 3 week vacation, and now my broadband appears to be getting capped at 6.4Mbps.

It's been like this since I returned (a couple of days now). Have rebooted modem and router, and are running speedtest from a macbook wired directly to the router

Prior to leaving, I had no problems reaching speeds of 200Mbps+

Any advice please?

Screenshots here

Speedtest

https://i.imgur.com/95Ts6Q8.png

Modem Downstream

https://i.imgur.com/1Brlunb.png

Modem Upstream

https://i.imgur.com/Q7yPEfn.png

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Was previously getting around 220Mbps, now being capped at 6Mbps

This been tested wireless/wired?, if wireless can you test it wired.. Also can you post the operation config, and network log. All power levels, snr within limit's

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
carpii
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, despite it looking like wireless speeds, it was tested with an ethernet cable connecting a macbook to my router, which is then cabled directly into the Superhub 

My router is a Netgate SG-4860 (an official pfsense device), but I've been using this for 12 months+ without issue, and neither the outer or its config has been updated recently. 

I will run further tests tomorrow and post the other screenshots

I find it a little odd how rigidly the bandwidth appears to be capped, rather than it just being a laggy broadband issue, where the bandwidth and latency usually fluctuates at least a bit

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Leave the Hub in modem mode and pull the router cable. Then connect your Macbook directly into the Hub with a new Cat5e/6 cable (in case it has failed) and see what you get. Use a different browser to normal - one you havent used before (e.g Opera/Firefox) - test at speedtest.net to a VM server

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
carpii
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice

To my surprise I plugged into directly into the superhub, and was seeing speeds of 220Mb.

But plugging it into router (which is just one cable hop away, and sat right next to it), is still only reaching speeds of 6.5Mb.

Im really baffled by this, but I do accept its some sort of issue with my router now, and not a Virgin Broadband issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to be sure you can copy the MAC of the device you got full speed on to your router WAN.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I run pfsense box myself and find every now and then  I have to turn off both pfsense and then the super hub, turning on 1st the super hub wait until lights stablise and then the pfsense router to get my speeds back to normal.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos