cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vpn throttling

Anths79
Tuning in
Hey guys I have an account with a vpn provider and on my 160mb line I never get above 20mb. I have tried at another house with different internet provider and it is fine there. I have checked firewall settings on router and enabled pptp etc.

Is virgin throttling vpn?
39 REPLIES 39

VIVID350 tested right now @ 243.03 / 21.16Mbps

PIA - London @ 118.10 / 19.88Mbps

thats using UDP and AUTO in the v81 PIA settings

FYI I've had LONG discussions with PIA about the loss in speed, specially when I was seeing 350+Mbps on a none VPN circuit.

Some loss is to be expected, but I went with PIA because I found them to be reliable and responsive to tech queries compared to the other VPN providers named in this thread. I've also found they provide all manor of ways to get around routers that block the default ports etc

...your mileage may vary

Kippies
Alessandro Volta

The solution is to switch providers, or move off UDP. Smiley Wink

i'll be honest, mine doesn't change enough to get me excited when I tried TCP, or the other port combos...

PIA out paced NORD and the third VPN provider I tried just didn't wanna answer questions during my testing phase.

But I also use my VPN client on the road, and so need a good allrounder for on site connections.

Like the OP I was shocked at how much speed I lost when I brought up the VPN on my VM circuit.

Guess I could run some tests to my own VPN authenticator and that would compare the throttled vs non throttle theories posted... hadnt considered that before

Not  tried TCP as UDP recommended by NORD VPN. ill give it a go tho, willing to try anything right now as 20mbps would struggle coping with a game of Pac man!! One thing thats odd is that i downloaded wifi analyser to my phone to see if there was wifi channel congestion. Whilst im getting miserable 20mbps, the app readout listed the wifi as 144mbps?!

jlsolomon
Just joined

I haven't had any issues with my super hub 3 and using express VPN or privatevpn both got speeds of 100mb and above through wireless and wired I got up to 180mb on 200mb gamer package. My settings on my router are all default I've found servers in the Netherlands and Iceland tend to be the fastest. 

[MOD EDIT: Image removed as contains personal IP address]

What router you attaching to super hub 3? My netgear 7000 required it to be flashed with DDWRT and then have a fair amount of coding inserted into DDWRT settings for NORDVPN to finally work. Albeit at very slow speed.

When your talking about download speed being throttled by Virgin Media with VPN on do you mean when running a speed test or in the real world of Torrenting?

I've a 230mb VM line, on Speedtest with VPN 190 mb Nord using UDP

Using IP vanish VPN 170 mb using UDP

In a torrent client neither manage a speed above 1.5 mb download speed 

Im receiving only 20mbps when conducting speed test on VPN activated router on a 200mbps virgin account. My superhub3 reaches speeds of around 70 mbps.

Not looked at torrent speeds.

...haven't really investigated any of this throttling further Smiley Indifferent but as this thread got bumped a couple of days ago heres some findings today:

Hub3 in modem mode |  DrayTek Vigor2862 router 

302.48Mbps without VPN

172.81Mbps connecting via a London access point via my VPN provider

closed that VPN and normal service resumed...

then opened a VPN which authenticates to a router I manage, also in London

15.24Mbps VPN via that BT circuit

closed and remote desktop to same site

73Mbps speedtest , no VPN

....your mileage may vary

I have tried a third VPN today and I had the best results from speedtest so far yet through a torrent client yet again 1mb - 1.2 download speed 

Think the you tube video posted earlier in this thread by another poster 

shows the problem I am having

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vCqVyqQyxs