Menu
SADLAD
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Volt speed increase

Hi, virgin confirmed a couple of weeks ago that Volt had been applied to my account, however a new modem would be required

I have successfully installed a replacement modem (Hub 2 replaced with Hub 3 about 1 week ago).  

I cannot evidence speeds in line with the new Volt package, still seem within the previous package limits. (I have tried at various times in the day/night) is there any other thing to do or back end Virgin configuration required?  

P.s. Hub 3 is in modem mode.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Volt speed increase

Look in the Hub settings and navigate to the Configuration data and see what numbers are in the boxes for Upstream & Downstream Maximum Data Transfer Rates. These are in bps and show you what speeds the Hub is set up to receive - are these in line with your new package or the old one,

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
SADLAD
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, looking at Max Traffic Rate values (assuming they are the values you refer to & that they are in bits per sec) they look set up ok.  There must be some other reason I am not seeing those values in speed tests.  Will check again over the next couple of days e.g. after midnight with other devices off.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Try it this way....

If you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos