cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volt speed increase

SADLAD
On our wavelength

Hi, virgin confirmed a couple of weeks ago that Volt had been applied to my account, however a new modem would be required

I have successfully installed a replacement modem (Hub 2 replaced with Hub 3 about 1 week ago).  

I cannot evidence speeds in line with the new Volt package, still seem within the previous package limits. (I have tried at various times in the day/night) is there any other thing to do or back end Virgin configuration required?  

P.s. Hub 3 is in modem mode.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Look in the Hub settings and navigate to the Configuration data and see what numbers are in the boxes for Upstream & Downstream Maximum Data Transfer Rates. These are in bps and show you what speeds the Hub is set up to receive - are these in line with your new package or the old one,

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

SADLAD
On our wavelength

Thanks John, looking at Max Traffic Rate values (assuming they are the values you refer to & that they are in bits per sec) they look set up ok.  There must be some other reason I am not seeing those values in speed tests.  Will check again over the next couple of days e.g. after midnight with other devices off.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try it this way....

If you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.