cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volt how to get booster pods/any better than Devolo system?

ajo
Tuning in

Hi. We have just upgraded our package so now have 350 and a new Super Hub 3.

When cable was first installed here over 20 years ago the installation was done in the loft landing as this is where the computer was, so this at the time made sense.

This is an old brick house, so because of this a while back I purchased a Devolo 1200+ wifi ac adapter which had been working well as it has 2 ethernet ports which are plugged into the TV and V6 box downstairs. Now not long after upgrading to the Super Hub 3 I was having some issues with the Devolo which I spent a long time yesterday sorting out.

I liked the Devolo as the 2 ethernet ports were useful, but they also claim "range+ Technology is taking advantage of all three wires in the electric mains circuit at the same time for even more performance and longer range" and they are meant to be a mesh system too.

Now while the Devolo wasn't working yesterday I tried out the Virgin Connect app, which was a bit of a nightmare to get working, eventually it did and it found a blackspot downstairs with the option about the booster pods, I checked the rest of the house though and didn't go ahead. Now on going back to the room it does pick up a weak signal, but the only option on the app is to let it change some Super Hub settings and try again...not much difference and no option to order some booster pods.

Now we are on a Volt bundle, so I believe that I should be able to get some booster pods with no charge, but I cant see where or how. I am also wondering if they will be any better than the old Devolo that I have or they just going to repeat an already bad signal. If I can get some then I am wondering if I should set them up and turn off the wifi on the Devolo and just use the ethernet for the TV and V6.

Thanks for any advice or help

TL/DR
On a volt bundle where to get some booster pods when the app isn't offering them?
Are they any good or just repeat a bad signal/no better than an old powerline/wifi system?

8 REPLIES 8

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VOLT customers are entitled to a maximum of 3 Pods for free I believe.  They are not powerline but just relay the wifi signal between the Hub and Pods.  Each "hop" will reduce the wifi speed.   The placement of the Pods is critical, as they need to be able to talk to the Hub and to each other, so they can relay the wifi.

They also need a single SSID and Intelligent Wifi to be on the Hub.  But as this is the default for the Hubs, it should be okay unless you have changed it.

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there ajo,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community!

So just to relay what @Adduxi has advised, our Pods work like more of a mesh system with one ethernet port on the device to support with signal issues.

As you are on Volt you will be entitled to Pods without charge.

Let us know whether you'd like to try the service and we'll get that sorted. 

Thanks,

Kain

That would be great, thanks. So there will be no monthly fee as a Volt customer then?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ajo wrote:

That would be great, thanks. So there will be no monthly fee as a Volt customer then?

That is correct, Pods are not charged for VOLT customers, as stated by @Kain_W  above.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @ajo thanks for getting back to us.

As it appears that you would like to take up the option to have the intelligent WiFi pod, I would love to help you with this.  I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

We're here if you need us @ajo ?

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Lee. Thanks. I think I replied to your private message the other day? Let me know if it’s not there. 

Hi @ajo, thanks for getting back to me privately.  This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R