cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volt broadband speed upgrade

RichardDBlake
Tuning in

Has anyone successfully managed to get the broadband speed upgrade that a customer of both Virgin Media and O2 is entitled to under the 'Volt' agreement. I linked my Virgin Media and O2 accounts back in November last year and O2 honoured their terms by increasing my data package immediately. Virgin Media seem unable to honour their promise.

So far I have spoken to 8 different people at Virgin Media and the only answer that I get is that I will need to take out a new contract at an increased price to get the 'free' upgrade.

Any ideas on how I can progress this?

16 REPLIES 16

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you on a oomph package?  I know you cant get double speed on those

Why not? I am a Virgin Media and O2 customer.

Also, I have an email from Virgin Media dated 5th Nov 2021 which states:

"Following your recent query about Volt benefits, our O2 colleagues have passed your query to us to investigate. We’ve made some checks and can confirm that both your Virgin Media and O2 accounts are eligible for Volt benefits."

However, I am still on the same broadband speed as when I took out the package so the speed boost has not been implemented.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @RichardDBlake,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for any confusion with this.

I checked our system, you have been upgraded to the Volt speed in question. Please try doing a hard reset on the Hub, if you are still not getting the speeds.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks Haley

Can you let me know when my speed was upgraded. When I started with Virgin Media the contract that I took out included 600M broadband. Therefore the Volt upgrade should put me on 1G. However, my monthly bill still only says 600M and also, I still have a Hub 3 which doesn’t support 1G broadband.

Regards

Richard

OK. By way of an update. I have just managed to speak to someone at Virgin Media who has finally understood that I am eligible for an upgrade to my broadband. An engineer is booked to fit my Hub 4 (not sure why it needs an engineer but apparently self install was not available as an option) and I should get 1G after that.

I’ll keep my figures crossed that this will finally get resolved.

Richard

Oh well - it looks like this was too good to be true. I have had an email to say that my broadband will be updated to 1G but what I wasn’t told was that to get this ‘free benefit’, I would lose my promotional discount which means the price of my package will go up by £50 per month now instead of in April 2023.

I can’t find any notification that this would happen in the information that I have received on Volt or in the email that I received last year to confirm that I am eligible for the speed increase. I also was not told on the phone when the change was made that this would happen.

I am hoping that this is just an oversight and the promotional discount will be reinstated but the first person that I have spoken to on a chat is not of that opinion.

Hi

Can anyone from Virgin Media on here help me find a solution to this.

I have now been told that in order to qualify for Volt benefits I have to change package which means I lose my promotional discount. This is the first I’ve heard of this restriction which does not make sense to me. The upgrade is promoted as a benefit to Virgin Media/O2 customers.

I was moved from Ultimate Oomph bundle to Ultimate Oomph Volt bundle on 5th November and maintained my promotional price.

Yesterday I had the Volt Broadband speed increase applied onto the Ultimate Oomph Volt bundle (i.e. I did not change bundle yesterday) but the promotional discount was removed.

This is not making sense to me.

Regards, Richard

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @RichardDBlake,

I am sorry for the issues with your account, any changes made to your account can make your current package (and discounts) Void. With the speed change and the tariff change.

I understand that this price is not ideal for you at the moment, but with the speed boost and the new tariff change we are unable to re apply the discount you once had, as it would no longer be valid.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide