Menu
Highlighted
kirkkaf13
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 350 Modem Speed Issue

Hello,

My speeds are not bad by any means but are more than half of the "up to 350 Mbps". I am currently getting around 150mbps wired and 60 Mbps wireless. 

As I mentioned I am using modem mode with a short 1 meter Cat 7 ethernet cable to a NETGEAR Nighthawk R8000 router. This router is capable of 3200 Mbps (600 Mbps + 1300 Mbps + 1300 Mbps).

I then have another Cat 7 ethernet cable from the router to my pc into the MSI X370 Pro carbon motherboard which supports up to 1Gbps. 

I know my speed isn't slow but I don't know what the bottleneck is as I am not really getting what I pay for and could achieve these speeds on a cheaper package.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 350 Modem Speed Issue

Try direct to the virgin hub to rule out your own setup

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Are you sure the wireless device you are testing with can achieve speeds above 60Mbps?

With regard to the Ethernet speeds. Always best to rule out any third party hardware as a starting point.  To that end, try a test with just your PC connected to the hub in modem mode.  This will rule out any settings in the Nighthawk slowing things down.  For example, the QOS setting in Netgear routers can be configured to throttle speeds.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
kirkkaf13
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi both, 

I can confirm that my Huawei P20 Pro connected to the Nighthawk router can get speeds above 60 Mbps I just re-tested and for 72.4 Mbps.

I just tried connecting my pc directly to the modem, at first there was no internet so turned off the modem and restarted it. Seems like this was a requirement. The new test results are; 212.44 down and 21.13 up.

Looks like it has improved things, which is great but I might as well be on Vivid200 right? I'll look into disabling QOS within my router what other settings could slow down the router that much. Especially since the router is around £200!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Your upload is good but download obviously not. Reconnect the Nighthawk to the hub; what speeds do you get? If they are a lot less then you've got two problems.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@kirkkaf13 wrote:

I can confirm that my Huawei P20 Pro connected to the Nighthawk router can get speeds above 60 Mbps I just re-tested and for 72.4 Mbps.

Is the phone connecting to the 2.4Ghz band on the Nighthawk or the 5Ghz band?

I just tried connecting my pc directly to the modem, at first there was no internet so turned off the modem and restarted it. Seems like this was a requirement. The new test results are; 212.44 down and 21.13 up.

Looks like it has improved things, which is great but I might as well be on Vivid200 right? I'll look into disabling QOS within my router what other settings could slow down the router that much. Especially since the router is around £200!

That does suggest some throttling on the part of the Nighthawk, but beyond QOS I can't think of any other settings right now that would throttle bandwidth.

As you don't get 350 there might be an issue with the line.  Some hub stats might help:

If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ (as you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@kirkkaf13 wrote:

Try again with the pc booted into "safe + networking" mode - to rule out any software on it causing the issue.  Also try a browser (fresh install) that you dont normally use (Firefox?, Opera?,etc)

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kirkkaf13
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Your upload is good but download obviously not. Reconnect the Nighthawk to the hub; what speeds do you get? If they are a lot less then you've got two problems.

I got 151.65 Mbps which is over 50Mbps slower again. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Let's see what your stats and logs say.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
kirkkaf13
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

@kirkkaf13 wrote:

Try again with the pc booted into "safe + networking" mode - to rule out any software on it causing the issue.  Also try a browser (fresh install) that you dont normally use (Firefox?, Opera?,etc)

It doesn't appear to be a software issue as I got 105.4 Mbps during safe mode + networking.

0 Kudos