Menu
jms2
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 100 achieving about 10-20Mb/s max

As per the title, I am supposed to be getting 100Mb/s but a typical download speed would be around 8, rising to maybe 20. The highest I have seen is 30. Its been like this pretty much consistently but hasn't been a major concern until I recently got a smart TV and tried watching iPlayer on it. :-(

I have rung Virgin technical support twice, and whilst the guys on the phone were helpful and were very confident they had solved the problem, I have not actually seen any improvement.

On the first call I was advised to reset the router using a paperclip, which I did.

On the second call the chap made some adjustments to my settings remotely, and said he found a fault in one of the four "upstream" ...somethings? After speaking to him the speed hit a record level of 30, but today it's back down to its usual 8 again. This is using speedtest.net, and it's the middle of the day on a Sunday.

WiFi strength is not an issue because its fine. 

I am starting to think that Virgin can't deliver 100Mb/s - should I give up?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 100 achieving about 10-20Mb/s max

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you need to do this first.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card with up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then boot up your device into "safe mode" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download (e.g. Opera?).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is the device your using capable of 100mb, how are you testing the speed?

0 Kudos
jms2
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That is a good question. For the desktop PC that I am using to do the speed test, I am not sure. I appreciate that Wifi imposes a limitation, so I'm not necessarily obsessed with getting to the full speed theoretically available, but I'm not getting anywhere near that. I know that the speed test can successfully report speeds up to 30Mb/s (because it did that yesterday, for a while), so I'd regard achieving that regularly as a significant step forward.

My wireless adaptor is a Realtek RTL8188CU 802.11N usb 2.0 adaptor, which is advertised as being able to get to 150Mb/s although I take that with a pinch of salt. 

0 Kudos
jms2
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:
If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you need to do this first.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card with up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then boot up your device into "safe mode" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download (e.g. Opera?).

Thanks - that makes sense to me as a proper scientific way to test the speed. I think I could just about figure out how to do it (I'm not at all experienced with networking), but is it really essential as a first step? I ask because my father in law has the same subscription from Virgin, a PC which is no more modern than mine, and he gets 70Mb/s without any problems.

I could believe that PC could have some kind of problem, but my TV is new and obviously not susceptible to the kind of malware of other problems found on Windows. But it struggles with video streaming and subjectively seems to have exactly the same performance issues as the PC.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You havent actually said... how is the TV connected to the Hub?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jms2
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:
You havent actually said... how is the TV connected to the Hub?

Everything is via WiFi. I realise this is not ideal, but the signal strength is good where the TV is.

If I move the PC closer to the SuperHub (even to the point of being right next to it), it doesn't make any difference to the speed.

Similarly, when I turn off every WiFi enabled device in the house so that only the PC is connected, the speed still did not get any better.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The wireless adapter is a single stream 2.4GHz only adapter, real world speeds of around 40Mbps.

Testing wired is an essential first step to prove the internet connection coming into the Hub.

No need to bother putting the PC in safe mode and the rest of the rubbish in the first instance as the first step is just to test if the Internet connection with a PC connected directly to the Hub by ethernet cable. If you are getting headline speeds in the first instance the additional steps which would have been proven a waste of time.

You need to follow a simple logical path not a bunch of scripted answers to a multitude of issues bunched together as a one size fits all solution in an attempt to make it look like they know what they are doing.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You can visit fast.com to test your speed on your TV.  This is good to help work out wifi issues with smart tvs

0 Kudos
jms2
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have got to take my hat off to you guys - I found a Cat 5e ethernet cable (not Cat 6, I know) and tried plugging the PC directly into the router. Hey presto, straight away I get 105Mb/s. So we've made a major step forward - it's clearly a WiFi issue!

It will be tricky to get the router moved and the TV connected directly by ethernet, but it's probably the way forward.

For the laptop it's not really an option though. Given that the WiFi says it is working fine (the signal indicator is up to 5 bars as I type this, for example), what's the best option I can take to improve it? Get a better WiFi adaptor perhaps?

As it happens, in WiFi mode I am now seeing 35Mb/s which is a new record! If it stayed at this level I'd be quite happy with it - I'm not trying to achieve incredible speeds.

0 Kudos