Menu
Mikeandjanjones
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin online chat

I have tried 8 times to use the "chat online" facility and the message is invariably "sorry, the team are currently unavailable" (always within the advertised hours of opening). 

Has anyone ever got through?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Superstar
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin online chat

Some have had success - but it is pot luck. What did you want to chat about - a technical problem can be helped on here.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Mikeandjanjones
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Wise Owl. 

Here's my problem. Virgin keep sending letters saying "your tier" offers "an average ultrafast broadband speed of 108Mbps". I've measured on Ookla 18 times since 4 November and the average is 51.5Mbps. The highest reading was 95.8 and the lowest 21.8.  I've followed all the hints about improving speed but it makes no difference. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Superstar
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Speed tests are notoriously variable - try www.speedtest.net as well for comparison.  Speeds can of course vary during the day so test at different times.  Most importantly your "tier" average speeds is based on ethernet cabled devices - and not over wifi - for well documented reasons.  What are your speeds when connected by wire ?  What Hub model do you have as well? Re. wifi speeds - what devices are you testing on and are they gigabit enabled?  If they arent they will never get over 100.  Also are you testing on the 2.4 or 5 GHz networks.  My iPhone7 regularly gets >200mbps on the 5 but nowhere near that on the 2.4.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Well-informed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Regarding the "chat" service, there's reasons to believe that this is only offered when there's spare capacity within VM's appallingly bad offshore call centre.  So if there's voice calls on hold (like most of the time) then they won't do chat, but if they have staff sitting around who would otherwise be idle they're told to respond to chat.

Chat and voice are (in industry parlance) "synchronous" communications, which means when customers want a response, providers have to have a live, paid human available (or other lower life form, in VM's case).  That's expensive, and because call volumes are unpredictable, it is a difficult and unrewarding job trying to do resource planning - guessing how many staff you need nest day or next week.  Get it wrong, and you pay for people to sit around and play, or you end up with appalling call wait times.  No guesses where VM's choices take us.

So, sorry that doesn't help you, but it may explain why VM chat works only once in a blue moon.  With a very weak, incompetent regulator (Ofcom) there's no reason why they should change this practice until Openreach or other fibre providers can offer competitively priced high speed connections.

Mikeandjanjones
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Andruser, for taking the time to answer my question about "online chat". You are indeed well-informed and now so am I. 

I'm not sure if you can see my post setting out the problem I have. VM keep telling me my average download speed is 108Mbps when it's actually 51.5.  Seems like they're using the VW diesel emissions playbook?

All the best

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Superstar
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Mikeandjanjones wrote:

VM keep telling me my average download speed is 108Mbps when it's actually 51.5.  Seems like they're using the VW diesel emissions playbook?

No, as I explained above they are measuring the speed into the Hub to be delivered on a suitable ethernet cabled device.  You are not doing that.

--------------------
Mikeandjanjones
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Wise Owl and thanks for the further response. 

I do feel that you have confirmed my point. If the 108M speed is indeed what's delivered to my hub, it's THEIR average speed.   ".......With YOUR average speed of 108" is the wording in VM's letter to me, and in seasonal mode I have to say "oh no it isn't".

I much appreciate your taking the time to write. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Superstar
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you connect a suitably configured device to the Hub with an appropriate ethernet cable, their speed will be = to your speed and so...  "oh yes it is"! 

Well, to be more accurate, should be - which is of course the reason for asking you to do that test - i.e. to prove that your speeds are capable of reaching 108mbps - or whether there may actually be a problem.  Smiley Happy 

--------------------
0 Kudos
anthonybowcott
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It makes no sense does it, Andruser? Why would a company pay someone to talk to a single person over the phone when they could be dealing with multiple people at once on a live chat, unless they just wanted to wind their users up and prevent themselves from having to deal with every issue, with the hope that customers just give up being on hold over the phone. It's actually cheaper to have humans using live chat than it is having them on the phone being useless.

0 Kudos