Menu
Bob-Albion
Tuning in
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin on the ridiculous

Tony did you look at the video above? It shows clearly my daughter following a cat6 Ethernet cable going from the Hub 3.0 to the laptop and her performing a seed test. The result shows 134.66 Mbps download and 36.06 Mbps upload! No booster involved in this test thank you for your input. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Bob-Albion wrote:

Tony did you look at the video above? It shows clearly my daughter following a cat6 Ethernet cable going from the Hub 3.0 to the laptop and her performing a seed test. The result shows 134.66 Mbps download and 36.06 Mbps upload! No booster involved in this test thank you for your input. 

What mode was the hub in at the time of that test?  As the video doesn't show the front of the hub and the colour of the bottom LED it is impossible to tell, but it looks like router mode with three other Ethernet cables connected and ports flashing, so other wired and wireless devices could be using some of your bandwidth.  A modem mode test is always best when troubleshooting a connection.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Bob-Albion wrote:

sorry - i missed the video - ok you need to take it a few stages further

1 - repeat the test with the laptop in safe mode with networking - that will isolate anything on the laptop that could be causing a slow down

2 - if 1 does not help repeat with the hum in modem mode

its also worth changing the server you use on speedtest.net

and before others add it - although i have never seen it to be a problem try with different clean installed browsers - all extra work/tests but as yet you have not proved its VM's problem 

Tony
0 Kudos
Bob-Albion
Tuning in
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you to everyone who's tried to help. Tony I'd love to be able to do these test you requested but as I'm disabled it's quite hard for me to do! And trying to explain to my daughter how to complete these tasks is beyond my patience level. So looks like I'm going to have to wait till i get someone tech savvy to come to my house to help me.

Thanks once again Bob

0 Kudos