cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media wifi issues with not meeting advertised speed and companies refusal to do anthing about it.

bekerteli
Joining in

Basically my parents have virgin media wifi and pay for upto 300 mbps. We never get this speed most the time cant even load a web page as the wifi is so sporadic. We have screen shots of the wifi at like 10 to 20 mbps, however when ringing virgin media they just say that the speed they offer only counts from a wired connection. We have asked for a new router or for it to be upgraded but they wont, they basically say that we are lying and that we are getting the speeds we should. My question is that is internet speed really only wired that they count, and if there is anything that can be done here. Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds, so tests need to be done wired directly to the Hub.

However, please post the power levels and network log from the Hub.  Also setup a BQM to record the state of the incoming circuit.  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping  Once done we can comment.

Unfortunately wifi is very easily affected by external interference, hence wifi is not guaranteed.  VM do offer wifi Pods at an additional £5 pm, but these may or may not help. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to add to Adduxi's comments.... doing as asked will help pinpoint whether your issue is down to a VM Network connection problem - or as they claim, its just a wifi issue. Once that is clarified (do a speed test on a computer/laptop connected on Cat5e ethernet cable), then If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings.

All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are only free to customers on 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you?

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.