Menu
coldfusion0
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media throttling legal torrents

Hi everyone let me explain what is happening

Basically I am bit of geek/techonogly nerd and I have two raspbery PI's and two desktop machines and On my Third hard drive in my primary machine I keep a number of linux Distros on stand by in Case windows craps out on me

so that's what I am legal mean by legal torrents and virgin media are throttling the crap out of them

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media throttling legal torrents

All P2P, torrent and usenet services are limited/slowed down on the upload, as outlined in VM's traffic management policy:

Traffic Management Policy

*Traffic Management doesn't apply to VIVID 200 Gamer or VIVID 300

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To add to Bartman, it only doesnt apply to the upload on VIVID200Gamer / Vivid 300. P2P is still limited regardless.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Only solution is change ISP or get a VPN.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VPN doesn't really help as they limit a fair amount of those as well i believe 'just incase' its p2p traffic going on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Some are throttled i think i always suggest using OpenVPN Stealth if this happens which some providers offer.

0 Kudos
higgsboson23
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I started testing this and passed by here for related info or solutions. By the looks of it, it's possible. But I bet it's against user terms so my obvious but easy to pass by advice is to just schedule the torrents instead. If that doesn't rock your boat, I found some services on this list that worked well - http://vpnpick.com/best-vpn-torrents-p2p-file-sharing/ but after some testing, there are important flaws to consider with most VPN connections...

I tested on windows using openvpn and the downloadable clients for each service, and doing constant ping tests - the most frustrating part is when a dns ip leak did happen, speeds would cap and I would have to wait until it cleared before I could test again.

The first thing I found is that most of them can still leak IPv6.. best thing I say is to disable it, for now it has minimal or almost no impact, and if you have a site that is broken without it, just turn it back on and off when you torrent or need it. Use openvpn instead of any provided apps, this should help a bit as well to keep stealth. The connections would leak through ipv6 when using torrents and not always but here are my findings:

-Some services will always leak, when turned on and everything, so go with a service that  is suggested for P2P
-Most services will leak when vpn connection drops and reconnects. Blackvpn use to be my provider, but i found that it leaks if connection drops, even with a kill switch. Same thing for purevpn, too many leaks on ipv6 when left turned on and connection drops and reconnects,your real IP stays open to ISP.
-AirVPN and Torguard are two examples that did fairly well, i was not able to detect leaks with ping tests and it did not get throttled on a 100mbit link. But even with time torguard disconnected once, and leaked on reconnect, but at least went back to normal once connected. Along with the killswitch i was able to stop this but it was such a pain to run these tests and see so many fail!

So my best advice, turn off IPv6 in windows or even mac as you will likely have similar issues. And use openvpn for better results.. if anyone has more info to share, I would like to see how others have done, for now i am done testing, way too time consuming. 

0 Kudos