Menu
jordanmartin123
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin cabling

Hi all. We pay for the 100mb package but are only receiving speeds of 45Mb. Virgin sent out an engineer who ran some tests and told us that our "cables have deteriorated and 45Mb is the maximum speed they can put out".

I live in a rented flat. The block of flats has a virgin box on the ground floor, with multiple cables running to each flat. Just before the cable enters my flat the cable from the virgin box ends, and connects to a smaller cable which essentially runs from just outside my window, through various internal walls, to my connection point. The engineer demonstrated that this final bit of cable was the problem. 

Trouble is, he said they cannot replace it as it runs through the walls. The only option he presented was drilling a hole through the wall near the window and running the new cable through there to my wifi box. This isn't really an option as it is a rented flat.

Personally, I feel Virgin should replace the cable in the wall at their own cost. Can anyone provide any guidance? Or, we should be getting 50% off our bill as we only get 50% of what we pay for!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin cabling

i can only offer opinion but that is the tech is wrong or maybe has not explained it well - you can check the speed that VM have the line set at - access the hub go to config and look at the speed setting

if thats 100 the config is correct - how are you speed testing - you need to test with a wired pc/laptop if you are testing by wifi then any speed is possible

as well as the confi settings post some more info

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

as to the wiring - there may be problems with it but techs [today] will nor drill through walls - to get from A to B apart from the external wall - they will not go under floors to get round a door fram but over the frame - so whilst you have wire through walls new wires though the same wall may only happen if you drill the holes

the tech offered a solution within what he is allowed to do - you should contact the landlord or owner to see if permission can be given 

but lets look at the figures and see whats what - and further confirm how you are testing the speed

Tony
0 Kudos
jordanmartin123
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice Tony. I think the tech is correct since when he switched the final part of wire and fed it in through the window to my hub, the speed suddenly went up to 100MB. So basically the cable in the wall is buggered and is seemingly very difficult to replace.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

ahhh ok - that adds to the info - so the connection is provisioned at 100 - that clears that up

as i said VM today will not route cables like they did in the past so you need to look at other solutions - i am not clear where this damaged cable is - is it actually in your flat or the general building fabric - all i can suggest is what i said in my earlier post - talk to the landlord or owner 

Tony
0 Kudos