cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media throttling P2P

コナー
Dialled in

After months of ringing up and getting nothing out of it I'm taking it to the forums.

Despite my contract stating I shouldn't be throttled on P2P like clockwork if I attempt to download anything via P2P, like let's say the Ubuntu ISO, it will pick up speed to then nosedive to just a few kilobits per second, this oddly enough occours over the whole network so everything connected via ethernet or wifi has a pretty much unusable connection until the throttle ends.

In testing I can see my broadband bring back up speed after pausing or finishing the torrent.

This occours with the Hub 3 in modem mode and router mode and didn't used to happen previously. I have had multiple replacement Hubs in the mean time.

Forever waiting for the Hub 4
102 REPLIES 102

I certainly see throttling on my connection when P2P. This started to happen as of end 2020. As soon  as P2P started, vith even minimal traffic, both up and down are limited to 10kbps max, entire house speed goes down within minute. Out 100MB promised to me by VM I only have 320kbps.

However, as soon as P2P client stopped, the speed goes back up to normal, e.g 87MB on the phone.

I'm on VM Hub 3, in modem mode.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zmechanic wrote:

I certainly see throttling on my connection when P2P. This started to happen as of end 2020. As soon  as P2P started, vith even minimal traffic, both up and down are limited to 10kbps max, entire house speed goes down within minute. Out 100MB promised to me by VM I only have 320kbps.

However, as soon as P2P client stopped, the speed goes back up to normal, e.g 87MB on the phone.

I'm on VM Hub 3, in modem mode.

You need to disable 'DHT' and 'PEX' in the client settings.

I have no issues with 'Throttling'.

Seems like my issue was due to VM Hub not being rebooted for a while, about 1.5 months to be precise. Reboot sorted throttling issue.

I have recently subscribed to VM100 in the last week. I currently have access to my previous network Now Broadband (not fibre optic) & VM. I use a VPN as standard. I also use P2P. I noticed a disparity in my download speeds between what i was getting from my VM line and 'Now Broadband'. I expected VM to be far superior. This is what prompted me to find this post.

[My Experiment] Over a day I used PSP for two hours, I hour at separate times, with 6 simultaneous files as my test, swapping between networks, each time restarting the PC. I tested this with and without VPN turned on.

Below is an average of the internet speeds recorded with and without VPN switched on. I have round the figures up.

{Without VPN} On 'Now broadband' my ping is between 30-130, my download speed 11-17mbps, my upload between 2-8 mbps

{With VPN} On 'Now broadband' my ping is between 70-150, my download speed 11-17mbps, my upload between 1-5 mbps

{Without VPN} On 'VM100' my ping has been between 16-20, my download speed 65-105mbps, my upload between 8-11mbps

{With VPN} On 'VM100' my ping has been between 55-90, my download speed 52-70mbps, my upload between 7-9mbps

Results from within uTorrent
Average download speeds with Now Broadband ranged from 900kbs to 1.7mb/s {the higher range was much more frequently}; with VM they ranged from 650kb/s to 1.1mb/s {the lower range was more frequent}. Surprisingly my 'ordinary' broadband responded more productively. Upload was limited to 100kb - average upload speeds were not significantly different.

Since testing I have reverted to using my old broadband for P2P, at least until it runs out.

It is obvious that there is a weak link somewhere - my first thought was that VM are throttling the network. I would love an alternative explanation because it means I could fix it?

What I found is that this is an issue with VM Hub/Router. Just restart it, and problem goes away.

Hi, yes I did that before i began the comparitive tests

That is to say restarting the router did not fix the issue, neither did resetting it

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @Philo108 

Welcome back to the forums 

Sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your services. 

Please can you let me when you re-set was this via the pinhole? Are you also able to let me know, do you have any 3rd party equipment? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hello,

1.[Resetting] Yes, it was via the pinhole. I tried it twice. The second time I tried it for more than 60 seconds as I had read some posts on resetting the router, however it didn't change anything.

2.[accessing settings] I have also tried to get into the settings of the router, but I am unable to access it

3.[speed] I am getting good results with ookla speed tests in general {this is a mystery to me}, but the actual performance is worse than my previous broadband and router despite it being a normal non-optical line. It is most obvious with A. people in the house using internet, B. with downloads from P2P where the download speed is, again, worse than a standard internet line, C. Gaming - I have noticed it here the most - I am currently unable to join MMO's as the speed is inadequate in fight scenes. The latter is why I swapped to VM

I am starting to think that I have a dud router

Good Morning Philo108,

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry we've not been able to respond sooner

I've been able to look into the status of the hub and can see we'll need to arrange an engineer visit 

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn