cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media throttling P2P

コナー
Dialled in

After months of ringing up and getting nothing out of it I'm taking it to the forums.

Despite my contract stating I shouldn't be throttled on P2P like clockwork if I attempt to download anything via P2P, like let's say the Ubuntu ISO, it will pick up speed to then nosedive to just a few kilobits per second, this oddly enough occours over the whole network so everything connected via ethernet or wifi has a pretty much unusable connection until the throttle ends.

In testing I can see my broadband bring back up speed after pausing or finishing the torrent.

This occours with the Hub 3 in modem mode and router mode and didn't used to happen previously. I have had multiple replacement Hubs in the mean time.

Forever waiting for the Hub 4
102 REPLIES 102

No, they don’t throttle.

Read your traffic policy and you’ll see that. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Jesus they do on Torrents, Jesus go back to little desk little man.... I can't Keep repeating Virgin Admin admitted it last year when I read every single post And so many People "said" Thank God they've finally admitted It...(So why does every single person Using torrents say Virgin throttle)

In all honesty, I've fixed many PC problems where no answer Is available on google And trust me I've looked & I've had so many thanks from people.... 

Funny three days ago As the norm, I would reach 41-42, now it's gone to 1.50- 2.00 

Now Unless you live near me and would like a word, please go back to ya desk

Anonymous
Not applicable
virgin to not throttle. They do traffic shape p2p in busy area at busy times.

@Borg100 wrote:

Jesus they do on Torrents, Jesus go back to little desk little man.... I can't Keep repeating Virgin Admin admitted it last year when I read every single post And so many People "said" Thank God they've finally admitted It...(So why does every single person Using torrents say Virgin throttle)

In all honesty, I've fixed many PC problems where no answer Is available on google And trust me I've looked & I've had so many thanks from people.... 

Funny three days ago As the norm, I would reach 41-42, now it's gone to 1.50- 2.00 

Now Unless you live near me and would like a word, please go back to ya desk

Don’t make threats towards me - that just shows you have no idea what you’re saying.

I’m still waiting for your anecdotal evidence where a VM employee admitted to this.....

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Borg100
On our wavelength

well, all the VPN's and thousands saying they do on here must all be wrong, then? & al over forums!

Well after all this time my OpenVPN must be lying then like now it's in kilobytes yet was reaching full speed on torrents few days ago.

For you idiots I will find forum post then where Virgin CS admitted they do throttle and I think that's when i read posts from 2013 (not too sure) all the way through & when I've finished doing things I will find tom and post here, then you're just be like, oh crap they did admit it 😄

Why would I say something if it were not true? 

go back to ya desk little man & I Didn't make threats 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm an idiot sure. So what do you do for a living?
I assuming you are a computer engineer

Borg100
On our wavelength

Yes, I wasn't calling you an idiot, it was meant for someone else...

Yes, I've certainly fixed many PC issues that others can't find answers too

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm a 3rd line system engineer. So you can trust me.

Throttling and shaping are not the same

Hi All,

This thread is starting to get a little off topic and heated, please remember everyone is here to assist each other so lets keep things polite and courteous.

Any further comments that breach our forum guidelines will result in this thread being locked to any future replies.

Thanks

Community Moderators