Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media 3.0 Hub capping my ethernet speed at 100 mbps

Jayswee148
Tuning in

EC231B1F-1807-4BA1-9DFE-D277C7BA73C2.jpeg

Hi

i posted yesterday that I’d been having some trouble getting the speed I’d hoped for through my TP link power adapters for my Xbox. Won’t go into it all again but basically I realised that one of the 2 ethernet cables I was using was only a cat 5 so I bought another cat 5e cable meaning both connecting cables between the tp link are cat 5e.

i logged back into my router settings and seen that my Xbox is still capped at 100 mbps and my Xbox is saying the same. Does anyone know if I need to contact virgin media and ask them to uncap it ? I’ve been struggling to figure this out for over a week now it’s driving me round the bend!

thank you

Jay

5 REPLIES 5

TheChairman
Up to speed

Using power adaptors say no more. The speed is probably correct as speed is influenced by the quality of your mains cables and distance. The speeds advertised on the box are lets say a bit over the top are really ideal lab conditions.

Hey thanks for the reply - so you think it’s most likely the power adapters then? I thought it could be myself or just seems bizarre it’s locked at 100 and not even giving or taking a few mbps ... will try taking the Xbox downstairs and connecting the Ethernet direct to the router 

Hi Jayswee148

Thanks for posting. 

My apologies for any low speeds, though we do not cap speeds. 

Can I ask, have you got a laptop or a computer? If so, please do a speedtest on either those with only that device connected via Ethernet at speedtest.net an let us know how you get on

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi all - thanks for getting in touch appreciate it 

so it turns out the TP link advertised as AV600mbps Ethernet ports can only output 100mbps .... annoying. I replaced them with a gigabit port version and it’s now up much Closer so what I expected it to be so problem solved!

Thanks for coming back to us and glad to hear all sorted 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill