Menu
Timoneer
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Very slow connection

Recently upgraded to 200M with Hub 3.0 and Powerline adapters to extend WiFI reach but have not been able to get a satisfactory service since.

Have experienced a regular pattern of fast connection and no issues followed by a degradation of speed on the comnnection such that download speeds drop to below 10 (Upload speeds are faster). this seems to occur at all different times with no real pattern.

When it does occur most of the equipment is good enough to hold a connection but some such as my NAS drive report a connection failure.

To identify the problem I have been through the following steps.

1. Reboot of all components on system - no improvement. if the issue is resolved then it reoccurs later.

2. Striped the network down to switch the Hub 3.0 to Modem only and connected gigabyte network card directly to Hub 3.0 via Cat 6 cable - regularly clocked 200M download speed

3. Turned on Router functionality but left WiFi signal off - regularly clocked 200M Download

4. One by one connected each wired device checking the speed after each connection - regularly clocked 150M to 200M - some degradation but enough to get concerned about.

5. Connected Virgin Powerline device Hub 3.0 and checked speed at the Hub 3.0 and at the other end of the Powerline device through cable connection. - getting 120M to 180M at the other end of the house through the Powerline connection - to be honest this was better than I expected.

6 Then checked the WiFi signal at that end of the house via the Powerline connection (Hub 3 Wifi still switched off) - Achieved 100M on computer wifi and 50M on my phone. Still an acceptable level of connection.

7 Returned to the Hub 3.0 and switched on WiFi - Standing right next to the Hub 3 - my laptop gets speeds of no more than 8Mbps while my phone clocks 200Mbps on the same test site.??? Test 2 min later gets 54M. A cable connection to the Hub 3 at this point clocks 200Mbs

So the issue appears to be isolated to the way the Hub 3.0 operates with WiFi and appears not to be unstable in the handling of multiple WiFi connections -

Is this a known issue? 

Is my only solution to buy a decent wifi router and switch the Hub 3 to Modem only?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow connection

For some unknown reason the wifi on the Hub 3 does seem to have poor performance for some people. Putting in your own router isn't the only option (meshed wifi access points, for example), but it probably is the best and the one which most here would recommend.

Asus routers seem a popular choice.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You have proved the local circuit and you are getting headline speed, so you have proved it is a wireless issue.

Why is the laptop only getting 8Mbps, whilst the phone is getting 200Mbps?

One obvious answer is that the PC is connecting to the 2.4GHz band and the Phone is connecting to the 5GHz band.

To confirm if this is the case, you can split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands by giving them different SSIDs in the Hub's Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security page, or you could disable connect automatically to the 2.4 GHz band on the PC, assuming the PC's wireless adapter is dual band capable.

The 2.4GHz band is narrow as is very susceptible to wireless interference from neighbouring networks in range (including your powerline adapters) and a host of domestic gadgets like A\V Streaming Devices, Baby Monitors, older Cordless Phones, Fluorescence Lighting, Hearing aids, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security Cameras, Zigbee etc. etc.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer of Wifi Analyser for Android would help by showing what channels neighbouring networks are broadcasting on and received signal strength. Bear in mind the scanner will not show interference from non 802.11 devices like I mentioned earlier.

There are many other causes of slow wireless speed like the number of devices sharing the same wireless channel for example.

After a fairly impressive diagnostic path, it is a bit of a shame you decided to blame the Hub without any sound technical argument.

It is quite fashionable to blindly blame the hub on here, and yes, it is a cheap basic device typical of most ISPs, but at the end of the day it is just one part (an important part) of the equation, with many other strong variables in the equation. My Hub3 works fine with a decent wireless range for a basic ISP router.

0 Kudos
Timoneer
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not blaming anyone just looking for a conclusion that gives me the most speed. Reason for the testing steps was to try to identify it. (And haven't purchased new router yet)

I will give the different bands a test. I assume the hub allocates them according to number of devices using a particular band?

Will let you know

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are separate bands broadcast simultaneously by the Hub, ultimately it is the wireless client that chooses what band to connect to, not the Hub. On startup the client will scan the networks in range and will choose the network with the strongest signal assuming the client has been previously associated with that network.

However, VM have introduced "Intelligent" WiFi which includes Band Steering, which will try and force dual band clients to use the wider 5GHz band by refusing 2.4 GHz probes from dual band clients. How well this works is a matter of debate as if you are going to force a client onto the 5 GHz band it need to have a decent signal strength, which could vary due to interference and moving away from the Hub. There is an option with Band steering to

The Hub 3 broadcasts both bands using the same SSID, by default so clients can seamlessly roam between bands depending on signal strength, so you don't know what band you are connected to.

For testing I would separate, the SSIDs in the Hub by assigning different SSIDs and disable Channel Optimisation, so you can explicitly connect manually to your preferred band, I would also check that the client is not set to automatically connect to the band you don't want to connect to.

0 Kudos
Timoneer
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK - so now I have gone back and broken the system down again into its component parts and tested each signal.

I have changed the SSID for the 5 and 2.4 GHz signals so that they are distinguishable. This actually resulted in 4 strong SSID signals in the house (used WiFi Analyzer to identify), named 5Ghz,2.4GHz, VM1 (Old Name) and Virgin Media. Pretty quickly worked out what was happening was the Powerline device actually broadcasts an independent SSID (VM1) that was established on set up to match the Hub 3. Left this as was to try to find the fault. I will come back to the Virgin Media one later.

Rebooted all devices to see what happened and they all connected back to the VM1 SSID - which is the Powerline extension and not the fastest or necessarily the nearest. However, they could all connect through to the internet using this connection but slowly. Sitting next to the Hub 3, my laptop still preferred to connect through the Powerline unit further away. In trying to force the 5Ghz or 2.4GHz SSID, the devices would see the signal but would respond with "Failed to obtain IP address". 

So then I bought everything back so that the only active SSID was the 5GHz - turned everything else off and tried to connect - again "failed to obtain IP address". Changed the settings so that only the 5GHz SSID was enabled - again 'Failed to obtain IP Address". Changed so that only the 2.5Hz SSID was enabled - again 'Failed to obtain IP Address'. While "Connecting" however the MAC address of the phone did appear on the 'Connected Devices' screen of the Hub 3 with an IP address allocated, however, after short while the error appeared on the phone and the device disappeared from the screen.

I am not a technician but I would conclude from the above that what has been happening is that  devices have been unable to get a satisfactory connection from the hub and are therefore connecting via the Powerline through which they are allocated an IP address with internet access. As already tested in my first post, direct ether cable to the Hub 3 gives 200Mbs but this is degraded through the Powerline connection (I would expect that). However, with every device in the house trying to connect through the Powerline WiFi connection it is getting a little overwhelmed and we drop to 8Mbps. Not trying to immediately "blame" the Hub but these results are repeatable (I have gone back and checked again this morning).

How do I get a Wifi connection to the Hub to have internet access/stable IP address allocation?

Added Note for query...

I downloaded WiFi Analyser and checked the signal across the various bands. No surprises living in a Virgin cable area there are a number of competing signals across both frequencies but my SSID is the highest in my house. I have checked with the two neighbors and both of them have older Virgin equipment and have confirmed the SSID that is strongest after mine is theirs. So I know the source. However, none of them use an SSID of "Virgin Media". This one matches signal strength of my own SSID. Is this a public access point being created through the Hub3? If so I dont mind but get my speed up that I pay for before giving public access please - How do I turn it off? 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Log into your VM account, go to My Profile and check Opt out of Virgin Media WiFi. Sometimes this still doesn't opt out of the hotspot, but a forum team member should be able to do this for you.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin Media SSID is the Hub3's wireless hotspot, and Roger has advised how to disable this.

What powerline Adapters are you using?

If they are dual band then I would separate their 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands by giving them different SSIDs as well, so you should see 4 separate SSIDs and the Virgin Media one.

What Wireless Adapter does the laptop have? (or make\model of laptop)
On the laptop i would delete the VM1 wireless profile to prevent the laptop trying to automatically connect to the Powerline Adapters. (I would also do this on the rest of your devices.
Some wireless clients roaming tends to be "sticky" and prefer the last network they connected to, usually because the roaming aggressiveness is set to low.

it would be worth unplugging the Powerline Adapters and testing the wireless signal strength, and range of the Hub 3.

0 Kudos
Timoneer
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The Powerline adapters are the ones supplied by Virgin. 

I have actually removed them from the equation by disconnecting them and forced the connection to Hub 3 on both Laptop and phone - The Phone is a Galaxy S8 and the Laptop a Surface (purchased last year) so it should be fairly recent kit. On the phone by deleting all other profiles so that only the one worked on is the Hub connection - this is when I get a failure to allocate an IP Address. The phone and Surface appear to work perfectly well with other wifi systems.

The reason I have the Powerline Adapters is because when I upgraded to the 200Mbps service I was supplied with the Hub 3 and found the connection issues then (described as black spots in my house) - the solution provided by telephone support was to provide the Powerline adapters. Since then I have been much more clinical in how I have been going through and adapting.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The phone and Surface are both failing to connect to the Hub 3 on both bands  with Smart Wifi turned off, have I understood that correctly?

If so, then it looks like an issue between the devices and the Hub 3.

Personally, I would do a Factory Reset of the Hub and set it up again by changing the default passwords\SSIDs printed on the hub (or in Hub drawer) so that the 2.4Ghz and 5 GHz bands have different SSIDs, and Smart WiFi  is disabled.

I would also uninstall the wireless adapter from Device Manager on the Surface and reboot, ensuring you have downloaded the latest drivers just in case Windows doesn't automatically reinstall the drivers.

I would also forget both networks on the phone, or reset the network on the phone.

I would also check that both the Surface and the Phone is set to obtain DHCP addresses automatically. (reinstalling the drivers and a network reset should set automatic DHCP by default)

If you still cannot connect to the Hub 3, then I would start to suspect the Hub is faulty and if so, VM should swap it out for you.

0 Kudos