Menu
JWoolf
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Very slow broadband

Hello. I have recently joined virgin and pay for vivid 350. On average I am getting around 60mb/s but this can dip down to 1mb/s as a big online gamer these speeds are not acceptable, especially considering I am paying for 350mb/s. 

I have tried wired, my WiFi black spots are fine. 

Please can can you help. 

Kind regards

jon

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow broadband

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you need to do this first.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card with up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then boot up your device into "safe mode" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download (e.g. Opera?).
Have you tried that ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
JWoolf
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

So when the engineer was here I tested the connection and got 350. But since then it has been all over the place. I should not have to do any test. The amount of money I am paying it should just work. I have to love my entire computer to test this sort of thing. I know it is not my computer as it is the item I tested with. So I am capable of receiving such speeds. It is a problem with the broadband not my systems. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If you wired speeds are NOT 350+mbps under the conditions stated then you can look elsewhere. Although I would have expected that the technician did this on their visit.....
Check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing (rabbit chews!). Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.
If that’s all good.... post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” text at bottom middle of first page up and then copy/paste 3 sets of data onto here - the downstream, upstream, & network logs. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read,& don’t include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos