cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor broadband connectivity for some time. Help needed.

VelvetGlove
On our wavelength

I'm on the 200MB service in the Stapleford area of Nottingham. Broadband/Internet has been absolutely dire for days now. Loading a webpage takes a couple of minutes each time, watching a two minute news video on the BBC website stalls. Just loading this forum post editor has taken seven minutes just to load a box I can type in! It's ridiculous.

To be fair there are some times of the day when speed is acceptable but today isn't one of them. Evenings are unusable a lot of the time. There are also intermittent issues with our Tivo box unable to connect but I realise that is a separate issue for another forum. The point is that our VM services are struggling right now and we deserve better.

I have tried some self help measures like re-booting my Hub 2 which takes a very long time to settle down and doesn't help much in the long run. I regular shut down and re-start my (wired to hub) PC so it's unlikely to be that. I've also waited an age loading and using Virgin's broadband testing page... this usually claims that there are no issues with any VM services and when I request a further online check of my equipment/status I just get the brush off with "Sorry, we can’t check the service status in your area right now". This message has appeared for months, it's nothing new and is supremely unhelpful.

Recent overnight work by VM in my area has done nothing to improve matters.

I am an average home user, though reasonably competent with PCs I don't understand the technical aspects of hubs/connectivity that people talk about here.

I'm looking for some practical advice/help on troubleshooting this issue. If any info or logs are required I'm happy to help but would need a pointer as to where/how to do this. Please help.

Thank you.

18 REPLIES 18

I don't know about the logs but might be worth seeing if you can get upgrade on your SH2. 

Also try changing dns servers to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 but I'm sure you will get better answer soon 

Thanks for your thoughts, bally12345. I've had this router for just over 7 years now so maybe it is getting a bit long in the tooth. Hopefully a member of VM staff will be able to cast an eye over my logs and offer some insight before too long....

Hey @VelvetGlove,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your broadband services at the moment, I have looked into your connection on our system and I have been advised that you would need a new hub to resolve these issues, we would need to send a technician out to do this.

I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

Sorry @VelvetGlove, it appears that you dont have private messaging turned on at the moment. Please can check your forum profile and click view/manage settings, to ensure that the private messaging is turned on. Once you have turned it on, please let us know and we can get a private message sent over to you.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven, thanks for helping me with this issue, I really appreciate your assistance. It's been quite a nuisance for some time now.

Sorry about the PMs permission - didn't realise it was set to "off".  I have now turned it on and await your message.

Cheers.

Its no problem at all @VelvetGlove, I will send the private message over to you in a moment and we get this looked into today.

Thanks,

Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

You're very welcome @VelvetGlove and please do let me know how the visit goes.

Regards,

Steven_L

@Steven_L: Just a quick update as requested.

The VM technician came yesterday as arranged. He confirmed that there was indeed a fault with my 7yr old Superhub 2  and set up a new Superhub 3 for me. Whilst here he also upgraded the cable *and* the ancient NTL box on the interior wall that has been there for 22yrs! So everything has been upgraded, checked over and confirmed as working correctly. So far hub performance has been very good so I'm hoping this is the end of the connectivity problems I've been having for weeks now.

Thanks again for your help in getting this sorted out for me so efficiently and quickly, I'm so pleased. Keep up the good work! 👍

Cheers.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for updating us with this VelvetGlove, so glad Steven was able to help you with this and that your services are looking a lot better 🙂
Zoie