cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very low speeds

bitsandpcs
Fibre optic

I have been on 1GB speed broadband for about 4-6 weeks now and have been monitoring the speeds using Samknows speed checker and realspeed and the pic below is the best i have ever got.

bitsandpcs_0-1649354266104.png

When testing i turn off all wifi and only have my laptop connected on CAT6e cable, my laptop is about 4-5 yrs old so should be able to get somewhere near the 1GB speed. Can an admin investigate this at VM end please? Very disappointed 😣

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you test it this way first and see what this gets.

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where.... QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I am running a fresh version of windows 11 so would like to think the drivers are up to date and no hidden software installed, have tried several different network cables MS Edge 🤣 when i test speeds are a joke only double figures. Also tested when windows 10 was on the laptop and results 200-300 MB's. Putting the router into modem mode get similar results as turning the wifi off. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Test it the way I described and dont trust Microsoft.... see this...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Speed-drop-not-always-Virgin-s-fault/td-p/4461515

I have another 38 links to similar threads (not all MS related) if you want to have a browse 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @bitsandpcs,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're not receiving the correct speeds! I can understand that this can be frustrating.

Have you taken a look at our Speed Up page to see if this can help with your ongoing speed issue? 

Have the tips provided by @jbrennand help resolve your ongoing problem?

After running some further checks on our systems, I cannot see any issues impacting your local area, or your power levels that could be responsible for your poor speeds. Can you please check and confirm that all WiFi bands are currently on and working correctly? Do you have a split band? If so, have you tried to reset your Hub to see if going back to the original settings can help resolve this issue?

Keep us updated to see if this can help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

All wifi bands are enabled and set to auto channel optimisation as i also use VM wifi pods and both channels have the same name, did everything apart from test in modem format as i couldnt connect to the internet with Ethernet, couldnt display a webpage. 

Hi @bitsandpcs,

Thank you for giving those steps and tips a try. It's a shame to hear that they haven't helped.

I'm about to send you a private message so that we can have a closer look at what's going on. If the issue remains today, please respond to this at your earliest convenience and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi @bitsandpcs,

Thank you for getting back to me via private message so that we could investigate this further. As discussed, a technician visit has now been scheduled and book.

I'm unable to confirm the date/time of the booking publicly, but you can check and manage/reschedule if needed via your My Virgin Media account.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Ok thanks, i will get back and report findings

Engineer turned up today and speed tested using his equipment and got very low speeds (double figures) so swapped the hub 4 for a hub 5 and retested, he then got 900+ MB/S. I have tested a few times with my equipment and am getting varied results, had a few 900s but also a few 600s and lower. Will monitor for a few days. Are VM doing any wifi 6 extenders ?